Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8460 on SMTP TLS Reporting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8460

        Title:      SMTP TLS Reporting 
        Author:     D. Margolis, 
                    A. Brotman,
                    B. Ramakrishnan,
                    J. Jones,
                    M. Risher
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 67126
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8460

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8460

A number of protocols exist for establishing encrypted channels
between SMTP Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs), including STARTTLS, DNS-
Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) TLSA, and MTA Strict
Transport Security (MTA-STS).  These protocols can fail due to
misconfiguration or active attack, leading to undelivered messages or
delivery over unencrypted or unauthenticated channels.  This document
describes a reporting mechanism and format by which sending systems
can share statistics and specific information about potential
failures with recipient domains.  Recipient domains can then use this
information to both detect potential attacks and diagnose
unintentional misconfigurations.

This document is a product of the Using TLS in Applications Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org