Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8469 on Recommendation to Use the Ethernet Control Word

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:43:55 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8469

        Title:      Recommendation to Use the Ethernet Control Word 
        Author:     S. Bryant,
                    A. Malis,
                    I. Bagdonas
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19138
        Updates:    RFC 4448

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8469

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8469

The pseudowire (PW) encapsulation of Ethernet, as defined in
RFC 4448, specifies that the use of the control word (CW) is
optional.  In the absence of the CW, an Ethernet PW packet can be
misidentified as an IP packet by a label switching router (LSR).
This may lead to the selection of the wrong equal-cost multipath
(ECMP) path for the packet, leading in turn to the misordering of
packets.  This problem has become more serious due to the deployment
of equipment with Ethernet Media Access Control (MAC) addresses that
start with 0x4 or 0x6.  The use of the Ethernet PW CW addresses this
problem.  This document RECOMMENDS the use of the Ethernet PW CW in
all but exceptional circumstances.

This document updates RFC 4448.

This document is a product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org