Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8511 on TCP Alternative Backoff with ECN (ABE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 13:47:52 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8511

        Title:      TCP Alternative Backoff with ECN (ABE) 
        Author:     N. Khademi,
                    M. Welzl,
                    G. Armitage, 
                    G. Fairhurst
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27408
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8511

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8511

Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanisms allow for burst tolerance
while enforcing short queues to minimise the time that packets spend
enqueued at a bottleneck.  This can cause noticeable performance
degradation for TCP connections traversing such a bottleneck,
especially if there are only a few flows or their bandwidth-delay
product (BDP) is large.  The reception of a Congestion Experienced
(CE) Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) mark indicates that an
AQM mechanism is used at the bottleneck, and the bottleneck network
queue is therefore likely to be short.  Feedback of this signal
allows the TCP sender-side ECN reaction in congestion avoidance to
reduce the Congestion Window (cwnd) by a smaller amount than the
congestion control algorithm's reaction to inferred packet loss.
Therefore, this specification defines an experimental change to the
TCP reaction specified in RFC 3168, as permitted by RFC 8311.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org