Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8517 on An Inventory of Transport-Centric Functions Provided by Middleboxes: An Operator Perspective

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:23:04 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8517

        Title:      An Inventory of Transport-Centric Functions 
                    Provided by Middleboxes: An Operator Perspective 
        Author:     D. Dolson, Ed.,
                    J. Snellman,
                    M. Boucadair, Ed.,
                    C. Jacquenet
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       February 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 46317
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-dolson-transport-middlebox-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8517

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8517

This document summarizes an operator's perception of the benefits
that may be provided by intermediary devices that execute functions
beyond normal IP forwarding.  Such intermediary devices are often
called "middleboxes".

RFC 3234 defines a taxonomy of middleboxes and issues in the
Internet.  Most of those middleboxes utilize or modify application-
layer data.  This document primarily focuses on devices that observe
and act on information carried in the transport layer, and especially
information carried in TCP packets.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org