Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8558 on Transport Protocol Path Signals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 20:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8558

        Title:      Transport Protocol Path Signals 
        Author:     T. Hardie, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22477
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-path-signals-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8558

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8558

This document discusses the nature of signals seen by on-path
elements examining transport protocols, contrasting implicit and
explicit signals.  For example, TCP's state machine uses a series of
well-known messages that are exchanged in the clear.  Because these
are visible to network elements on the path between the two nodes
setting up the transport connection, they are often used as signals
by those network elements.  In transports that do not exchange these
messages in the clear, on-path network elements lack those signals.
Often, the removal of those signals is intended by those moving the
messages to confidential channels.  Where the endpoints desire that
network elements along the path receive these signals, this document
recommends explicit signals be used.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org