Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8556 on Multicast VPN Using Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:23:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8556

        Title:      Multicast VPN Using Bit Index 
                    Explicit Replication (BIER) 
        Author:     E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    M. Sivakumar, 
                    T. Przygienda,
                    S. Aldrin, 
                    A. Dolganow
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 38070
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8556

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8556

The Multicast Virtual Private Network (MVPN) specifications require
the use of multicast tunnels ("P-tunnels") that traverse a service
provider's backbone network.  The P-tunnels are used for carrying
multicast traffic across the backbone.  A variety of P-tunnel types
are supported.  Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is a new
architecture that provides optimal multicast forwarding through a
"multicast domain", without requiring intermediate routers to
maintain any per-flow state or to engage in an explicit tree-building
protocol.  This document specifies the protocol and procedures that
allow MVPN to use BIER as the method of carrying multicast traffic
over a service provider's backbone network.

This document is a product of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org