Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8568 on Network Virtualization Research Challenges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8568

        Title:      Network Virtualization Research Challenges 
        Author:     CJ. Bernardos,
                    A. Rahman,
                    JC. Zuniga,
                    LM. Contreras,
                    P. Aranda,
                    P. Lynch
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 105501
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8568

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8568

This document describes open research challenges for network
virtualization.  Network virtualization is following a similar path
as previously taken by cloud computing.  Specifically, cloud
computing popularized migration of computing functions (e.g.,
applications) and storage from local, dedicated, physical resources
to remote virtual functions accessible through the Internet.  In a
similar manner, network virtualization is encouraging migration of
networking functions from dedicated physical hardware nodes to a
virtualized pool of resources.  However, network virtualization can
be considered to be a more complex problem than cloud computing as it
not only involves virtualization of computing and storage functions
but also involves abstraction of the network itself.  This document
describes current research and engineering challenges in network
virtualization including the guarantee of quality of service,
performance improvement, support for multiple domains, network
slicing, service composition, device virtualization, privacy and
security, separation of control concerns, network function placement,
and testing.  In addition, some proposals are made for new activities
in the IETF and IRTF that could address some of these challenges.
This document is a product of the Network Function Virtualization
Research Group (NFVRG).

This document is a product of the Network Function Virtualization of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org