Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8591 on SIP-Based Messaging with S/MIME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 18:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8591

        Title:      SIP-Based Messaging with S/MIME 
        Author:     B. Campbell,
                    R. Housley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 91547
        Updates:    RFC 3261, RFC 3428, RFC 4975

        I-D Tag:    draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8591

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8591

Mobile messaging applications used with the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) commonly use some combination of the SIP MESSAGE
method and the Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP).  While these
provide mechanisms for hop-by-hop security, neither natively provides
end-to-end protection.  This document offers guidance on how to
provide end-to-end authentication, integrity protection, and
confidentiality using the Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail
Extensions (S/MIME).  It updates and provides clarifications for RFCs
3261, 3428, and 4975.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org