Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8573 on Message Authentication Code for the Network Time Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 19:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8573

        Title:      Message Authentication Code for the 
                    Network Time Protocol 
        Author:     A. Malhotra,
                    S. Goldberg
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 10055
        Updates:    RFC 5905

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-mac-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8573

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8573

The Network Time Protocol (NTP), as described in RFC 5905, states
that NTP packets should be authenticated by appending NTP data to a
128-bit key and hashing the result with MD5 to obtain a 128-bit tag.
This document deprecates MD5-based authentication, which is
considered too weak, and recommends the use of AES-CMAC as described
in RFC 4493 as a replacement.

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org