Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8688 on A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Response Code for Rejected Calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 21:24:31 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8688

        Title:      A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
                    Response Code for Rejected Calls 
        Author:     E.W. Burger, B. Nagda
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-rejected-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8688

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8688

This document defines the 608 (Rejected) Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) response code. This response code enables calling parties to
learn that an intermediary rejected their call attempt. No one will
deliver, and thus answer, the call. As a 6xx code, the caller will be
aware that future attempts to contact the same User Agent Server will
likely fail. The initial use case driving the need for the 608
response code is when the intermediary is an analytics engine. In
this case, the rejection is by a machine or other process. This
contrasts with the 607 (Unwanted) SIP response code in which a human
at the target User Agent Server indicates the user did not want the
call. In some jurisdictions, this distinction is important. This
document also defines the use of the Call-Info header field in 608
responses to enable rejected callers to contact entities that blocked
their calls in error. This provides a remediation mechanism for legal
callers that find their calls blocked.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org