Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8686 on Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cross‑Domain Server Discovery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 14:06:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8686

        Title:      Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) 
                    Cross‑Domain Server Discovery 
        Author:     S. Kiesel,
                    M. Stiemerling
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8686

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8686

The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
provide guidance to applications that have to select one or several
hosts from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired
resource.  ALTO is realized by a client-server protocol.  Before an
ALTO client can ask for guidance, it needs to discover one or more
ALTO servers that can provide suitable guidance.

In some deployment scenarios, in particular if the information about
the network topology is partitioned and distributed over several ALTO
servers, it may be necessary to discover an ALTO server outside of
the ALTO client's own network domain, in order to get appropriate
guidance.  This document details applicable scenarios, itemizes
requirements, and specifies a procedure for ALTO cross-domain server
discovery.

Technically, the procedure specified in this document takes one
IP address or prefix and a U-NAPTR Service Parameter (typically,
"ALTO:https") as parameters. It performs DNS lookups (for NAPTR
resource records in the "in-addr.arpa." or "ip6.arpa." trees) and
returns one or more URIs of information resources related to that IP
address or prefix.

This document is a product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org