Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8767 on Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8767

        Title:      Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency 
        Author:     D. Lawrence,
                    W. Kumari,
                    P. Sood
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Updates:    RFC 1034, RFC 1035, RFC 2181

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8767

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8767

This document defines a method (serve-stale) for recursive resolvers
to use stale DNS data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers
cannot be reached to refresh expired data. One of the motivations for
serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to DoS attacks and
thereby make them less attractive as an attack vector. This document
updates the definitions of TTL from RFCs 1034 and 1035 so that data
can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry; it also updates RFC
2181 by interpreting values with the high-order bit set as being
positive, rather than 0, and suggests a cap of 7 days.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org