Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8750 on Implicit Initialization Vector (IV) for Counter-Based Ciphers in Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 15:55:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8750

        Title:      Implicit Initialization Vector (IV) for 
                    Counter-Based Ciphers in Encapsulating 
                    Security Payload (ESP) 
        Author:     D. Migault,
                    T. Guggemos,
                    Y. Nir
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8750

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8750

Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) sends an initialization vector
(IV) in each packet. The size of the IV depends on the applied
transform and is usually 8 or 16 octets for the transforms defined at
the time this document was written. When used with IPsec, some
algorithms, such as AES-GCM, AES-CCM, and ChaCha20-Poly1305, take the
IV to generate a nonce that is used as an input parameter for
encrypting and decrypting. This IV must be unique but can be
predictable.  As a result, the value provided in the ESP Sequence
Number (SN) can be used instead to generate the nonce. This avoids
sending the IV itself and saves 8 octets per packet in the case of
AES-GCM, AES-CCM, and ChaCha20-Poly1305. This document describes how
to do this.

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org