Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8764 on Apple's DNS Long-Lived Queries Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 21:28:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8764

        Title:      Apple's DNS Long-Lived Queries Protocol 
        Author:     S. Cheshire,
                    M. Krochmal
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-sekar-dns-llq-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8764

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8764

Apple's DNS Long-Lived Queries (LLQ) is a mechanism for extending the
DNS protocol to support change notification, thus allowing clients to
learn about changes to DNS data without polling the server.  From
2005 onwards, LLQ was implemented in Apple products including Mac OS
X, Bonjour for Windows, and AirPort wireless base stations.  In 2020,
the LLQ protocol was superseded by the IETF Standards Track RFC 8765,
"DNS Push Notifications", which builds on experience gained with the
LLQ protocol to create a superior replacement. 

The existing LLQ protocol deployed and used from 2005 to 2020 is
documented here to give background regarding the operational
experience that informed the development of DNS Push Notifications,
and to help facilitate a smooth transition from LLQ to DNS Push
Notifications.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org