Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8880 on Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8880

        Title:      Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa' 
        Author:     S. Cheshire, 
                    D. Schinazi
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates:    RFC 7050

        I-D Tag:    draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8880

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8880

NAT64 (Network Address and Protocol Translation from IPv6 Clients to
IPv4 Servers) allows client devices using IPv6 to communicate with
servers that have only IPv4 connectivity.

The specification for how a client discovers its local network's
NAT64 prefix (RFC 7050) defines the special name 'ipv4only.arpa' for
this purpose. However, in its Domain Name Reservation Considerations
section (Section 8.1), that specification (RFC 7050) indicates that
the name actually has no particularly special properties that would
require special handling.

Consequently, despite the well-articulated special purpose of the
name, 'ipv4only.arpa' was not recorded in the Special-Use Domain
Names registry as a name with special properties.

This document updates RFC 7050. It describes the special treatment
required and formally declares the special properties of the name. It
also adds similar declarations for the corresponding reverse mapping
names.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org