Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8805 on A Format for Self-Published IP Geolocation Feeds

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 16:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8805

        Title:      A Format for Self-Published IP 
                    Geolocation Feeds 
        Author:     E. Kline,
                    K. Duleba,
                    Z. Szamonek, 
                    S. Moser,
                    W. Kumari
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       August 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8805

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8805

This document records a format whereby a network operator can publish
a mapping of IP address prefixes to simplified geolocation
information, colloquially termed a "geolocation feed".  Interested
parties can poll and parse these feeds to update or merge with other
geolocation data sources and procedures.  This format intentionally
only allows specifying coarse-level location.

Some technical organizations operating networks that move from one
conference location to the next have already experimentally published
small geolocation feeds.

This document describes a currently deployed format. At least one
consumer (Google) has incorporated these feeds into a geolocation
data pipeline, and a significant number of ISPs are using it to
inform them where their prefixes should be geolocated.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org