Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8915 on Network Time Security for the Network Time Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 22:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8915

        Title:      Network Time Security for the 
                    Network Time Protocol 
        Author:     D. Franke, 
                    D. Sibold,
                    K. Teichel, 
                    M. Dansarie,
                    R. Sundblad
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-28.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8915

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8915

This memo specifies Network Time Security (NTS), a mechanism for
using Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Authenticated Encryption
with Associated Data (AEAD) to provide cryptographic security for the
client-server mode of the Network Time Protocol (NTP). 

NTS is structured as a suite of two loosely coupled sub-protocols.
The first (NTS Key Establishment (NTS-KE)) handles initial
authentication and key establishment over TLS. The second (NTS
Extension Fields for NTPv4) handles encryption and authentication
during NTP time synchronization via extension fields in the NTP
packets, and holds all required state only on the client via opaque
cookies.

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org