Subject: [rfc-dist] BCP 231, RFC 8906 on A Common Operational Problem in DNS Servers: Failure to Communicate

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:51:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 231        
        RFC 8906

        Title:      A Common Operational Problem in 
                    DNS Servers: Failure to Communicate 
        Author:     M. Andrews, R. Bellis
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        See Also:   BCP 231

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8906

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8906

The DNS is a query/response protocol.  Failing to respond to queries,
or responding incorrectly, causes both immediate operational problems
and long-term problems with protocol development. 

This document identifies a number of common kinds of queries to which
some servers either fail to respond or respond incorrectly.  This
document also suggests procedures for zone operators to apply to
identify and remediate the problem. 

The document does not look at the DNS data itself, just the structure
of the responses.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org