Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8943 on Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR) Tags for Date

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 15:47:23 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8943

        Title:      Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR) 
                    Tags for Date 
        Author:     M. Jones,
                    A. Nadalin,
                    J. Richter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-cbor-date-tag-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8943

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8943

The Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR), as specified in RFC
7049, is a data format whose design goals include the possibility of
extremely small code size, fairly small message size, and
extensibility without the need for version negotiation. 

In CBOR, one point of extensibility is the definition of CBOR tags.
RFC 7049 defines two tags for time: CBOR tag 0 (date/time string as
per RFC 3339) and tag 1 (POSIX "seconds since the epoch"). Since
then, additional requirements have become known. This specification
defines a CBOR tag for a date text string (as per RFC 3339) for
applications needing a textual date representation within the
Gregorian calendar without a time. It also defines a CBOR tag for
days since the date 1970-01-01 in the Gregorian calendar for
applications needing a numeric date representation without a time.
This specification is the reference document for IANA registration of
the CBOR tags defined.

This document is a product of the Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org