Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8963 on Evaluation of a Sample of RFCs Produced in 2018

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 11:23:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8963

        Title:      Evaluation of a Sample of 
                    RFCs Produced in 2018 
        Author:     C. Huitema
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8963

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8963

This document presents the author's effort to understand the delays
involved in publishing an idea in the IETF or through the Independent
Stream, from the first individual draft to the publication of the
RFC. We analyze a set of randomly chosen RFCs approved in 2018,
looking for history and delays. We also use two randomly chosen sets
of RFCs published in 2008 and 1998 for comparing delays seen in 2018
to those observed 10 or 20 years ago. The average RFC in the 2018
sample was produced in 3 years and 4 months, of which 2 years and 10
months were spent in the working group, 3 to 4 months for IETF
consensus and IESG review, and 3 to 4 months in RFC production. The
main variation in RFC production delays comes from the AUTH48 phase.

We also measure the number of citations of the chosen RFC using
Semantic Scholar, and compare citation counts with what we know about
deployment. We show that citation counts indicate academic interest,
but correlate only loosely with deployment or usage of the
specifications. Counting web references could complement that.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org