Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8981 on Temporary Address Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 13:29:06 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8981

        Title:      Temporary Address Extensions for Stateless 
                    Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 
        Author:     F. Gont,
                    S. Krishnan,
                    T. Narten,
                    R. Draves
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4941

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8981

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8981

This document describes an extension to IPv6 Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration that causes hosts to generate temporary addresses
with randomized interface identifiers for each prefix advertised with
autoconfiguration enabled. Changing addresses over time limits the
window of time during which eavesdroppers and other information
collectors may trivially perform address-based network-activity
correlation when the same address is employed for multiple
transactions by the same host. Additionally, it reduces the window of
exposure of a host as being accessible via an address that becomes
revealed as a result of active communication. This document obsoletes
RFC 4941.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org