Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8942 on HTTP Client Hints

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 15:37:47 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8942

        Title:      HTTP Client Hints 
        Author:     I. Grigorik,
                    Y. Weiss
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8942

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8942

HTTP defines proactive content negotiation to allow servers to select
the appropriate response for a given request, based upon the user
agent's characteristics, as expressed in request headers. In
practice, user agents are often unwilling to send those request
headers, because it is not clear whether they will be used, and
sending them impacts both performance and privacy.

This document defines an Accept-CH response header that servers can
use to advertise their use of request headers for proactive content
negotiation, along with a set of guidelines for the creation of such
headers, colloquially known as "Client Hints."

This document is a product of the HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org