Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8978 on Reaction of IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to Flash-Renumbering Events

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:05:54 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8978

        Title:      Reaction of IPv6 Stateless Address 
                    Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to Flash-Renumbering Events 
        Author:     F. Gont,
                    J. Žorž,
                    R. Patterson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8978

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8978

In scenarios where network configuration information related to IPv6
prefixes becomes invalid without any explicit and reliable signaling
of that condition (such as when a Customer Edge router crashes and
reboots without knowledge of the previously employed prefixes), hosts
on the local network may continue using stale prefixes for an
unacceptably long time (on the order of several days), thus resulting
in connectivity problems. This document describes this issue and
discusses operational workarounds that may help to improve network
robustness. Additionally, it highlights areas where further work may
be needed.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org