Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9008 on Using RPI Option Type, Routing Header for Source Routes, and IPv6-in-IPv6 Encapsulation in the RPL Data Plane

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9008

        Title:      Using RPI Option Type, Routing 
                    Header for Source Routes, and IPv6-in-IPv6 
                    Encapsulation in the RPL Data Plane 
        Author:     M.I. Robles,
                    M. Richardson,
                    P. Thubert
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      49
        Updates:    RFC 6553, RFC 6550, RFC 8138

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-44.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9008

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9008

This document looks at different data flows through Low-Power and
Lossy Networks (LLN) where RPL (IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power
and Lossy Networks) is used to establish routing. The document
enumerates the cases where RPL Packet Information (RPI) Option Type
(RFC 6553), RPL Source Route Header (RFC 6554), and IPv6-in-IPv6
encapsulation are required in the data plane. This analysis provides
the basis upon which to design efficient compression of these
headers. This document updates RFC 6553 by adding a change to the RPI
Option Type. Additionally, this document updates RFC 6550 by defining
a flag in the DODAG Information Object (DIO) Configuration option to
indicate this change and updates RFC 8138 as well to consider the new
Option Type when the RPL Option is decompressed.

This document is a product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org