Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9031 on Constrained Join Protocol (CoJP) for 6TiSCH

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 21:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9031

        Title:      Constrained Join Protocol (CoJP) for 
                    6TiSCH 
        Author:     M. Vučinić, Ed.,
                    J. Simon,
                    K. Pister,
                    M. Richardson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9031

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9031

This document describes the minimal framework required for a new
device, called a "pledge", to securely join a 6TiSCH (IPv6 over the
Time-Slotted Channel Hopping mode of IEEE 802.15.4) network. The
framework requires that the pledge and the JRC (Join
Registrar/Coordinator, a central entity), share a symmetric key. How
this key is provisioned is out of scope of this document. Through a
single CoAP (Constrained Application Protocol) request-response
exchange secured by OSCORE (Object Security for Constrained RESTful
Environments), the pledge requests admission into the network, and
the JRC configures it with link-layer keying material and other
parameters. The JRC may at any time update the parameters through
another request-response exchange secured by OSCORE. This
specification defines the Constrained Join Protocol and its CBOR
(Concise Binary Object Representation) data structures, and it
describes how to configure the rest of the 6TiSCH communication stack
for this join process to occur in a secure manner. Additional
security mechanisms may be added on top of this minimal framework.

This document is a product of the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org