Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9131 on Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating Neighbor Cache Entries on First-Hop Routers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:33:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9131

        Title:      Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating Neighbor 
                    Cache Entries on First-Hop Routers 
        Author:     J. Linkova
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Updates:    RFC 4861

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-grand-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9131

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9131

Neighbor Discovery (RFC 4861) is used by IPv6 nodes to determine the
link-layer addresses of neighboring nodes as well as to discover and
maintain reachability information. This document updates RFC 4861 to
allow routers to proactively create a Neighbor Cache entry when a new
IPv6 address is assigned to a node. It also updates RFC 4861 and
recommends that nodes send unsolicited Neighbor Advertisements upon
assigning a new IPv6 address. These changes will minimize the delay
and packet loss when a node initiates connections to an off-link
destination from a new IPv6 address.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org