Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9156 on DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:25:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9156

        Title:      DNS Query Name Minimisation to 
                    Improve Privacy 
        Author:     S. Bortzmeyer,
                    R. Dolmans,
                    P. Hoffman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7816

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9156

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9156

This document describes a technique called "QNAME minimisation" to
improve DNS privacy, where the DNS resolver no longer always sends
the full original QNAME and original QTYPE to the upstream name
server. This document obsoletes RFC 7816.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org