Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9187 on Sequence Number Extension for Windowed Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:17:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9187

        Title:      Sequence Number Extension for Windowed Protocols 
        Author:     J. Touch
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       January 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-touch-sne-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9187

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9187

Sliding window protocols use finite sequence numbers to determine
segment placement and order. These sequence number spaces wrap around
and are reused during the operation of such protocols. This document
describes a way to extend the size of these sequence numbers at the
endpoints to avoid the impact of that wrap and reuse without
transmitting additional information in the packet header. The
resulting extended sequence numbers can be used at the endpoints in
encryption and authentication algorithms to ensure input bit patterns
do not repeat over the lifetime of a connection.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org