Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9228 on Delivered-To Email Header Field

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9228

        Title:      Delivered-To Email Header Field 
        Author:     D. Crocker, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       April 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9228

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9228

The address to which email is delivered might be different than any
of the addresses shown in any of the content header fields that were
created by the email's author. For example, the address used by the
email transport service is provided separately, such as through
SMTP's "RCPT TO" command, and might not match any address in the To:
or cc: fields. In addition, before final delivery, handling can
entail a sequence of submission/delivery events, using a sequence of
different destination addresses that (eventually) lead to the
recipient. As well, a receiving system's delivery process can produce
local address transformations.

It can be helpful for a message to have a common way to record each
delivery in such a sequence, noting each address used in the sequence
to that recipient, such as for (1) analyzing the path a message has
taken, (2) loop detection, or (3) formulating the author's address in
a reply message.  This document defines a header field for this
information.

Email handling information discloses details about the email
infrastructure, as well as about a particular recipient; this can
raise privacy concerns.

A header field such as this is not automatically assured of
widespread use. Therefore, this document is being published as an
Experimental RFC, looking for constituency and for operational
utility. This document was produced through the Independent
Submission Stream and was not subject to the IETF's approval process.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org