Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 9150 on TLS 1.3 Authentication and Integrity-Only Cipher Suites

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:49:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9150

        Title:      TLS 1.3 Authentication and Integrity-Only 
                    Cipher Suites 
        Author:     N. Cam-Winget,
                    J. Visoky
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       April 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-camwinget-tls-ts13-macciphersuites-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9150

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9150

This document defines the use of cipher suites for TLS 1.3 based on
Hashed  Message Authentication Code (HMAC). Using these cipher suites
provides server and, optionally, mutual authentication and data
authenticity, but not data confidentiality. Cipher suites with these
properties are not of general applicability, but there are use cases,
specifically in Internet of Things (IoT) and constrained
environments, that do not require confidentiality of exchanged
messages while still requiring integrity protection, server
authentication, and optional client authentication. This document
gives examples of such use cases, with the caveat that prior to using
these integrity-only cipher suites, a threat model for the situation
at hand is needed, and a threat analysis must be performed within
that model to determine whether the use of integrity-only cipher
suites is appropriate. The approach described in this document is not
endorsed by the IETF and does not have IETF consensus, but it is
presented here to enable interoperable implementation of a
reduced-security mechanism that provides authentication and message
integrity without supporting confidentiality.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org