Subject: [rfc-i] Change in DOI format

From: "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 14:32:56 -0800

Hello all,

You may notice a slight change to the format of our DOI information in
our publication announcements, Info pages, and our index. The format of
the DOI is in the process of being made consistent across our materials,
including our citations, such that everything will look like:

*DOI*:  10.17487/RFC####

(to use a specific example, " *DOI*:  10.17487/RFC7332")

As a reminder, we participate in the DOI system via Crossref, our DOI
registrar, to help support authors in the academic research community.
Scholarly publishing in particular uses DOIs as a common industry
practice that enables much easier citation and cross referencing to
books, articles, and other material registered in the DOI system.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Heather

_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 07:28:10 +0100

> On 21 Nov 2016, at 23:32, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello all,
> You may notice a slight change to the format of our DOI information in our publication announcements, Info pages, and our index. The format of the DOI is in the process of being made consistent across our materials, including our citations, such that everything will look like:
> 
> DOI:  10.17487/RFC#### 
> (to use a specific example, " DOI:  10.17487/RFC7332”)

Hi Heather,

I’m not sure I noticed a change, but I note that

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.0020.xml

still says

<seriesInfo name="DOI" value="10.17487/RFC0020"/>

which will lead to

   [RFC0020]  Cerf, V., "ASCII format for network interchange", STD 80,
              RFC 20, DOI 10.17487/RFC0020, October 1969,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc20>.

(note there is no colon).

Changing this to:

<seriesInfo name='DOI:' value='10.17487/RFC0020’/>

leads to:

   [RFC0020]  Cerf, V., "ASCII format for network interchange", STD 80,
              RFC 20, DOI: 10.17487/RFC0020, October 1969,
              <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc20>.

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: dx.doi.org, when asking for application/citeproc+json, seems to say that the DOI really is 10.17487/rfc0020 (note lowercase):

$ curl -LH "Accept: application/citeproc+json" dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC0020 | jq .DOI
"10.17487/rfc0020”