Subject: [rfc-i] How to include sections from other drafts?

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:51:26 -0400

This is an issue that I have encountered several times in the past and 
never found an adequate solution. Now it has arisen again in 
draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-22. (See section 9.) (I'm not the author - I 
was Gen-Art reviewer.)

This draft updates some RFCs, and to do so it includes OLD text copied 
from the document being updated, and NEW text formatted as a replacement.

The problem is that the OLD and NEW text includes multiple sections, 
with section numbering from the referenced document. This text *looks* 
just like sections in *this* document, except that the numbering and 
indentation are copied from the referenced document. So it results in 
what appears to be incorrectly numbered and indented sections in the 
document. This is very confusing to read.

Is there a recommended way to deal with this - one that works with txt 
formatted documents?

I thought about indenting. But this requires reflowing the content to 
work with txt format, and that is a problem for OLD content taken from 
an RFC.

I have currently suggested putting a marker character in the margin of 
every such embedded line. But I'm not loving that either.

	Thanks,
	Paul
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest