Subject: [rfc-i] Non-ASCII characters in txt RFCs

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 05:06:04 -0800

G'day.

I've got a working group draft that includes two names in the 
Acknowledgements that needs non-Ascii characters.

I've written the xml as:

    Petr &#352;pa&#269;ek,Ond&#345;ej Sury

which renders nicely in html but the xml2rfc engine renders the txt 
version as...

    Petr &#352;pa&#269;ek, Ond&#345;ej Sury

RFC 7997, Section 3.2 appears to require two difference versions of 
source code, one for html and pdf, producing the native characters, and 
one for txt producing.  The example it gives shows:

>     Patrik (See PDF for non-ASCII character string)
>    (Faltstrom), (See PDF for non-ASCII character string) (William Chan)

So what is the safe convention for a single xml source code that will 
get reasonable rendering in both html and txt?

Thanks.

d/
-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 14:43:07 +0100

> one for txt producing.  The example it gives shows:

Not for non-ASCII characters in a latin script.

> get reasonable rendering in both html and txt?

You'd use 
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.author.attribute.asciiFullname> 
etc.

...and make sure you run a version of xml2rfc that supports v3 (and pass 
the right command line switch).

But, in your case, I think all that's needed is to allow xml2rfc to 
produce UTF-8 (command line switch "-u").

Best regards, Julian

(ID-Nits might still complain; please tell us how it went)

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 05:46:38 -0800

> produce UTF-8 (command line switch "-u").

Julian,

Thanks for the quick response.

While your suggestion looks fine for 'private' situations, the problem 
here is that I have no control over which txt rendering engine is run or 
how it is configured.

I submitted the xml and the problematic output was generated by the 
engine and configuration run by the I-D submission process...

d/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 14:49:51 +0100

On 2018-11-05 14:46, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> ...and make sure you run a version of xml2rfc that supports v3 (and 
>> pass the right command line switch).
>>

You could submit both XML and TXT, and thus have control on how the TXT 
is generated. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until the defaults are 
changed for the ID submission service.

Best regards, Julian