Subject: [rfc-i] V3 vocabulary and BCP 14 language

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 17:52:27 -0700

I think this is a question for the RFC Editor to look at and rule on.

When one places the BCP 14 template text into a document, are the BCP 14
keywords supposed to be wrapped in the bcp14 element from the xml2rfc
vocabulary or not?  I can see arguments on both sides of this so I don't
think that I have a personal opinion.

Jim

_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 18:16:24 -0700

FWIW, I just wrote a script that does that for them.

Joe

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:19:55 -0500

Speaking personally, I think the answer is "yes" -- if these keywords 
are rendered differently in the document, then I think their definition 
needs to be rendered in the same way as they will appear. It is for this 
reason, for example, that they appear in all-caps in the template.

/a

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 06:08:25 +0200

On 21.08.2019 03:19, Adam Roach wrote:
> ...

I would argue the other way around: the mark up is there primarily to
define a *use* of BCP14 terminology, which is not the case for the
introductory text.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:32:49 -0400

Jim Schaad <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > When one places the BCP 14 template text into a document, are the BCP

I first read this query as being, by act of pasting the BCP14 text in, that
xml2rfc would magically change "MUST" into <bcp14>MUST</bcp14>.
I thought that would be neat, but it can't be what you are asking.

AFAIK, there is no <bcp14 type="MUST" /> markup.

    > 14 keywords supposed to be wrapped in the bcp14 element from the
    > xml2rfc vocabulary or not?  I can see arguments on both sides of this
    > so I don't think that I have a personal opinion.

I think that they <bcp14>SHOULD</bcp14>.
I am in favour of more meta markup.

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [