Subject: Re: [rfc-i] RFC Editor Model discussions

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 03:25:03 -0700

Dear Internet Architecture Board,

I am copying my reply to one mailing list as per your request.

At 09:41 AM 30-08-2019, IAB Chair wrote:
>As you will have seen from the RSOC's message to the community, the 
>RSOC is seeking input on an SOW for a temporary RFC Project Manager 
>focused on the tactical aspects of the RSE position, in order to 
>allow for a community process considering changes to the RFC Editor 
>Model to complete.

Many years ago, or more precisely in January 2011, there was a 
discussion about the RSE role.  One of the points was about 
cross-stream coordination.  Another point in that discussion was 
about having a person with editor/publisher experience.  That point 
either got lost or diluted during the discussions which led to 
Version 2 of the RFC Editor Model.

>If the community supports moving forward with that approach, a key 
>question becomes how to ensure that the evolution process completes 
>successfully and in a timely fashion.  There are several choices of 
>how to proceed, each of which has differences in who convenes the 
>process, who manages it, and who calls consensus. Among the choices 
>would be an open membership IAB program, an IETF GEN area working 
>group, or a group convened from within the RFC Editor system itself 
>(e.g. by the stream managers).

I could not find any public information about the stream managers.  I 
came across the following sentence in RFC 2850: "The IAB must approve 
the appointment of an organization to act as RFC Editor and the 
general policy followed by the RFC Editor".  In RFC 6635, the RFC 
6635, the RFC Editor is described as a function instead of an 
organization.  In the paragraph quoted above, the RFC Editor is 
described as a "system".  That creates more ambiguity.

I am not in favour of an IETF-led process, e.g. an IETF General Area 
working group, as it is not in line with Section 2.1.2.1.2 of RFC 6635.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy 

_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest