Subject: [rfc-i] Proposed Program Description for RFC Editor evolution program

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:19:34 -0800

The IAB is seeking feedback on the proposed program description below.
While we would prefer public discussion on this list, comments may also be
sent to [email-masked].

regards,

Ted Hardie
for the IAB

Evolving the RFC Editor Model

Purpose

This program is intended to foster discussion and consensus on potential
changes to the RFC Editor model.  Discussion of changes to how the RFC
Editor function is managed, staffed, and overseen are all within scope.
After the group has come to rough consensus, it will document its output in
one or more RFCs.

Program Description

During the period between IETF 105 and IETF 106, the RFC Series Editor
convened a number of meetings to assess how best to conduct a community
discussion and consensus process for the evolution of the RFC Editor
model.  During that process, an IAB program was identified as the most
appropriate vehicle for the discussion, provided it allowed for open
participation and used a rough consensus model for decision making. The
working methods below are intended to capture the output of those meetings.

This program has no predetermined constraints on the decisions of the
group.  Updates to or retention of the oversight model, management, and the
roles involved in the RFC Editor function are all within scope.  Because
the focus of the discussions leading up to the creation of the program were
on the RFC Series Editor role, there is a presumption that the group’s
discussion will start with that.
Working Methods

The program is modeled on an IETF working group and uses its mailing list
to develop and validate consensus among the participants.  Participants
must adhere to the IETF participation policies set out in the Note Well [Note
Well <https://ietf.org/about/note-well/>].   Decisions are made using rough
consensus as determined by the chairs.

One or more design teams may be set up during the course of the program,
but their output must be considered and validated according to the usual
consensus process.  Design team output has no special standing.

Participants may appeal consensus calls to the IAB[RFC7282].

In addition to chairs,  the program will have an IAB program lead.  That
lead will act as a liaison between the chairs and the IAB for logistical
and other formal matters. All members of the IAB, including the liaison,
may also participate in the group as ordinary members.

Members

This program is open to participation by anyone.
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest