Subject: [rfc-i] Follow up on RFC Editor evolution

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 22:21:53 +0000

In a series of meetings leading up to and at IETF 106, the Internet
technical community was asked about the process to use in considering a
further evolution of the RFC Editor model.  The apparent consensus of those
interactions, as judged by the current RFC Series Editor, was that an open
IAB program is the most appropriate vehicle available.  The outcomes of
each of these meetings and the resulting process proposal is summarized in
draft-flanagan-rseme, but one key point is:

   The program should be modeled closely on an IETF working group
   [BCP25], using a mailing list to validate consensus among the
   participants, and adhering to the IETF Note Well [BCP78] [BCP79].
   Decisions are expected to be made using rough consensus; consensus
   will be called by the chairs, and any appeals will be handled by the
   IAB.[RFC7282].

Like an IETF working group, this program will have completely open
participation.

At its most recent meeting, which was the first after IETF 106, the IAB
agreed to develop a program in line with this proposal.  Charter text for
community review will be circulated to the [email-masked]
mailing list within the next few weeks; we encourage you to subscribe to
that list if you wish to participate in the charter discussion.  We expect
the comment period to span the holiday period into the new year.

A separate mailing list will be created for the program once the charter
has been finalized.  Volunteers to serve as chairs will also be solicited
after the charter is final.

If you have questions on the process going forward, please do not hesitate
to send them to [email-masked].

best regards,

Ted Hardie
for the IAB
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest