Subject: [rfc-i] A couple of formatting bits in v3

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 13:43:41 -0600

After talking to a couple of people, these are probably simply feature 
requests for v3.1 or the like, so I figured best to float them to the 
list:

1. I've been updating RFC 5322. I've got some artwork, specifically 
example e-mail messages, that needs to be clearly delineated from the 
surrounding text. When 5322 was published, the RFC editor used:

		<?rfc artworkdelimiter="&#45;&#45;&#45;&#45;"?>

and then I put in a little note saying, "In the text version, these are 
separated by '----'." What would be a sane way to accomplish something 
similar in v3? Obviously the processing instructions aren't desirable. I 
don't really want to put the "----" into the artwork itself because the 
HTML and PDF output looks just fine; the artwork in those versions has a 
grey background that is clearly separate from the body of the document, 
but the text version doesn't have any obvious separators. Making it 
<sourcecode> and using "<CODE STARTS>" / "<CODE ENDS>" seems kind of 
wrong for this case. Perhaps this would be some sort of additional 
attribute for <artwork>. Any thoughts?

2. I've got a definition list that is defined as <dl newline="false" 
spacing="compact">. When rendered, there's no punctuation between the 
term and the definition. I'd really like to put a colon after each term. 
Normally in HTML, I'd do that with CSS:

		dt::after {
		  content: ": ";
		}

I could, of course, put the colon and space at the end of the term, but 
that violates my obsessive sense of semantic correctness. ;-) Any ideas 
on how to best accomplish this in xml2rfc?

If these are just feature requests, is there some proper place (github? 
tracker? email to rse?) to document them?

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest