Subject: [rfc-i] Propose adding <info> and <norm> elements

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:53:22 -0500

So I have my tool accepting basic RFC v3 input. This is almost a superset
of the capabilities of my markdown and Word/ooml input forms.

The one element that is missing at this point is the management of dynamic
references. The main reason I wrote rfctool was to automatically manage and
expand citations. So I drop <info="rfc822"> in a document and it is
automatically expanded as necessary. Carsten has essentially the same
feature in his tool.

So I would like to propose that we add two additional elements for
representing informational and normative references in a document.

Given that iref/cref/xref/relref/eref are already specified and their
meaning is pretty opaque, I would prefer to use <norm target="rfc822"> and
<info target="rfc822"> for these.

The reason I want them is so that I can preserve the semantics when
converting a document from Word/Markdown format to xml for purposes of
editing. But I think it would be a generally useful thing to add this
capability to the XML format.

The alternative would be some sort of hack based on <xref>. The problem
there is that this doesn't capture the difference between normative and
informational citations.

I guess I could add an attribute to <xref target="rfc822" type="norm">
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest