Subject: [rfc-i] Nested paragraph blocks

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:10:04 -0500

The v3 XML cleans up many of the worst features of the old DTD. SGML
attributes are no longer used for text that appears in the document, the
tables model is no longer insane, etc.

The remaining issue I have trying to impedance match xml2rfc.v3 with my
tool set is what the document model permits to be nested inside paragraph
blocks.

Markdown, OOXML (aka Word), Frame maker and the like all use a model in
which styles are divided between paragraph styles and text styles. xml2rfc
has a model in which text blocks can be nested inside text blocks. So one
can (in theory) have artwork nested inside a paragraph rather than
presenting it as a separate paragraph block in its own right.

There are combinations allowed by the schema which are clearly not
sensible. Putting bcp14 text in a subscript for example.

It is not clear to me whether it is worth spending time supporting these
corner cases or not. I note that <t> allows <list> but not <ol> etc. which
suggests that this sort of thing is deprecated. Lists, figures etc. are
allowed in <li> elements though.
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:44:49 +0100

On 12.12.2019 16:10, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> tool set is what the document model permits to be nested inside
> paragraph blocks.
>
> which styles are divided between paragraph styles and text styles.
> xml2rfc has a model in which text blocks can be nested inside text
> blocks. So one can (in theory) have artwork nested inside a paragraph
> rather than presenting it as a separate paragraph block in its own right.

That doesn't match what
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.t> says...

The only block-level element listed there is indeed <list>, which is
deprecated.

 > ...
> corner cases or not. I note that <t> allows <list> but not <ol> etc.
> which suggests that this sort of thing is deprecated. Lists, figures
> etc. are allowed in <li> elements though.

<li> elements allow either block-level elements *or* phrase-level
elements. I think it's the same in HTML.

Best regards, Julian