Subject: [rfc-i] RPC server upgrade on Monday Oct 4 at 1600 UTC

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Sep 2021 16:32:38 -0400

On Monday, October 4th, AMS will be performing a cutover of the RFC-Editor 
website, and the RFC Production Center staff, to a new virtual production 
server group.  These new servers contain updated software and are based on 
new cloud infrastructure that will increase reliability and ability to 
respond to problems quickly.  This upgrade will enable the RPC to use 
newer versions of tools, and to be better positioned for improvements in 
the future.

Beginning at approximately 1600 UTC / 9AM Pacific Time, we will halt the 
current RPC server, perform a final data and database synchronization, and 
then reboot and bring the new server online.  Previous tests of this 
process suggest that the outage period will last approximately 30 minutes. 
RFC Email and List transport will be halted slightly earlier, to ensure 
all mail can process through before cutover.

All RFC-Editor functions, including the RFC-Editor website, Errata tool, 
and email lists, will be impacted by this outage.  No other services will 
be affected - specifically, the IETF's websites and other services will 
not be affected.  The outage is limited to services within the 
rfc-editor.org domain only.

The RFC team has been working for quite some time doing testing behind the 
scenes, and we are hoping for a smooth transition.  Nevertheless, there 
may still be problems we have not yet been able to identify.  The entire 
RPC team will begin using the new servers immediately, and will perform 
full testing, to identify and correct any problems as quickly as possible. 
We ask for your patience with this process.

As always, if you have questions or concerns, you can direct them to me, 
to the RFC-Editor team ([email-masked] ), or to [email-masked].

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly
_______________________________________________
rfc-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-interest