Subject: [Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release: v2.12.1

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 05:20:17 -0700

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.12.1, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.12.1) ietf; urgency=medium

  This release provides some additional polish over release 2.12.0, and also a
  few bugfixes.  The primary focus for this release has been HTML compliance
  based on the W3C validator at https://validator.w3.org/.  Valid HTML 5 is
  now generated for all documents used during testing.  From the commit log:

  * Fixed a number of issues with the v3 html renderer, to improve the 
    generated html.  Many of these were caught by the W3C validator at validator.w3.org:

    - removed the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ...> element, as it should
      not appear when there is a <meta charset=...> element

    - removed type="text/javascript" from a <script> element (superfluous)

    - removed a number of extraneous wrapping divs with identical id attributes

    - corrected the generation of <dt><dd> items for xml <ol> entries with
      percentage list types

    - removed some attributes on html entries for xml <ol> lists that had
      incorrectly been transferred from the xml

    - corrected the block element generated for <references> to <section>

    - fixed an issue where <xref> in <name> would generate nested html <a>
      elements

  * Also fixed some other issue:

    - added a newline tail for block elements, to improve readability

    - added missing space between author name and (editor)

    - fixed the renderer for <note> to generate html <section> elements with
      the right class attribute

    - refactored the generation of enclosing divs to hold id="$anchor" to be
      more consistent, with less code

    - modified the rendering of <xref> with text content to more closely match
      the historic rendering

  * Updated python-version specific test masters.  Tox runs for py27, py34,
    py35, and py36 aren now all clean.

  * Changed some invalid <link> rel= values to valid ones in the preptool

  * Tweaked the list of html block-level elements we use to control <div>
    wrapping

  * Disallowed <iref> as a direct child of <table> in the schema, as it
    results in invalid html with the rendering specified in RFC 7992.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  29 Oct 2018 12:07:33 +0000

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.12.1'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 20:44:46 +0000

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "[Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release:..." ]
>xml2rfc (2.12.1) ietf; urgency=medium

I'm trying to make a debian package for easy installing on debian systems, but 
the new dependencies make this difficult.

Current error:
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'google-i18n-address>=2.3.2' distribution was not found and is required by xml2rfc

Note, previous version worked (up to 2.10.x as that was the last I tried)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:49:46 +0100

Hi Miek,

The package is available on pypi: https://pypi.org/project/google-i18n-address/
If it's a matter of permitting an earlier version, I think that should be
quite possible.  If it's a matter of working around a complete absence, it's
more tricky.  Could you provide a bit more details on what options we have to
work with?

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:54:58 -0400

> Note, previous version worked (up to 2.10.x as that was the last I tried)

I've already packaged google-i18n-address for debian and uploaded it.

   https://bugs.debian.org/912228

It's in the NEW queue, waiting for ftp-master approval:

   https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

I've already uploaded version 2.12.1 to debian unstable -- once
google-i18n-address passes NEW, xml2rfc 2.12.1 should be available in
debian.

        --dkg

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:28:51 +0000

Ah nice!

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, 18:23 Daniel Kahn Gillmor, <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'google-i18n-address>=2.3.2'
> distribution was not found and is required by xml2rfc
> >