Subject: [Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release: v2.18.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 13:39:15 -0800

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.18.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.18.0) ietf; urgency=medium

  This release provides additional support for <referencegroup> rendering, and
  and adds validation of fetched reference files before they are used or put
  in the reference cache.  A warning for un-cited references was added to the
  preptool; this has been present for v2 renderers for a long time, but was
  absent from the v3 specification.  A number of bugs have also been fixed.
  From the commit log:

  * Fixed an issue with the v3 html renderer when given an author without 
    an address entry.  Fixes issue #390.

  * Fixed a bug in the HTML renderer's SVG reading exception code.  Added
    support for a <referencegroup> target attribute, and suppression of target
    URLs for indivudual entries within a <referencegroup>.

  * Adjusted the text rendering of reference annotations to match the html 
    rendering better.  Added support for <referencegroup> target rendering.  
    Suppressed rendering of target URLs for individual entries in a 
    referencegroup.

  * Added a preptool check for reference citations, as earlier provided by v2
    renderers.  Made the reference section numbering code more general, to
    support additional levels in the future.

  * Added an attribute 'target' to <referencegroup>, in order to be able to
    link out to for instance IETF STD and BCP documents.

  * Added ValueError to the exceptions caught on 'import weasyprint' as a 
    workaround for a problem in Python's locale.py file under 3.7.

  * Added the Python version to the version list emitted with --version 
    --verbose.

  * Added validation of included reference files before usage, to prevent
    html files fetched from dns-spoofing captive portals from being used.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  06 Feb 2019 13:22:38 -0800

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.18.0'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 21:56:02 +0100

On 06.02.2019 22:39, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> ...
> ...

With that, I'm getting output such as:

>    [STD69]    Hollenbeck, S., "Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)",
>               STD 69, RFC 5730, DOI 10.17487/RFC5730, August 2009.
> 
>               Hollenbeck, S., "Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)
>               Domain Name Mapping", STD 69, RFC 5731,
>               DOI 10.17487/RFC5731, August 2009.
> 
>               Hollenbeck, S., "Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)
>               Host Mapping", STD 69, RFC 5732, DOI 10.17487/RFC5732,
>               August 2009.
> 
>               Hollenbeck, S., "Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)
>               Contact Mapping", STD 69, RFC 5733, DOI 10.17487/RFC5733,
>               August 2009.
> 
>               Hollenbeck, S., "Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)
>               Transport over TCP", STD 69, RFC 5734,
>               DOI 10.17487/RFC5734, August 2009.

So the links to the RFCs are gone.

This matches slightly more what RFC 7322 says in 
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7322#section-4.8.6.3>:

>       [STDXXX]  Last name, First initial., Ed. (if applicable),
>                 "RFC Title", Sub-series number, RFC number, Date of
>                 publication.
> 
>                 Last name, First initial., Ed. (if applicable)
>                 and First initial. Last name, Ed. (if applicable),
>                 "RFC Title", Sub-series number, RFC number, Date of
>                 publication.
> 
>                 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/std#>

...but it still misses the link to the "aggregate" page.

Now doing this properly (without weird heuristics) requires a vocabulary 
change (see 
<https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/10>, 
raised over two years ago).

If we are in a hurry, and it seems we are, I would suggest to drop 
<referencegroup> for now instead of doing something that is known to be 
broken. And yes, I'm saying this after spending several hours over the 
previous weekend to get <referencegroup> support into rfc2629.xslt.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 22:05:51 +0100

> ...but it still misses the link to the "aggregate" page.

Did you provide a target attribute in <referencegroup> in order to give it
an aggregate link to render?

	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 22:11:10 +0100

> an aggregate link to render?

In fact I did not. Thanks for the explanation.

FWIW, xml2rfc (--v3 --text) renders that as "URL: <...>" - why the 
"URL:" prefix?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 22:35:14 +0100

> FWIW, xml2rfc (--v3 --text) renders that as "URL: <...>" - why the 

A tentative implementation.  I tried it both with and without, and in the
<referencegroup> case it seemed to read better with.  I'm happy to adjust
based on feedback and consensus.

	Henrik