Subject: [Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release: v2.19.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 06:20:33 -0800

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.19.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.19.0) ietf; urgency=medium

   **Changed handling of alternative artwork**

   The way <artwork> has been specified to handle the presence of both
   SVG artwork and text fallback (in Section 2.5 of [RFC7991]) has the
   result that any SVG content has to be placed as a data: URL in the
   "src" attribute when an ascii-art fallback is present.  This makes
   the SVG effectively uneditable once the preptool has been run, even
   if the SVG artwork was originally provided as a regular SVG XML file
   external to the document XML file.

   In order to be able to more easily deal with alternative instances of
   artwork, and in the future possibly deal smoothly with a wider number
   of alternative artwork formats than is currently provided for, a new
   element <artset> could be introduced, presenting a set of alternative
   artwork executions.  This would let the renderer pick the most
   appropriate <artwork> instance for its format from the alternatives
   present within an <artset> element, based on the "type" attribute of
   each enclosed <artwork> element.

   If more than one <artwork> element is found within an <artset>
   element, with the same "type" attribute, the renderer could select
   the first one, or possibly choose between the alternative instances
   based on the output format and some quality of the alternative
   instances that made one more suitable than the other for that
   particular format, such as size, aspect ratio, or whatnot.

   Implementation:  Xml2rfc as of version 2.18.0 implements this, with a
      preference list when rendering to HTML and PDF of ( "svg",
      "binary-art", "ascii-art" ), while the text renderer uses the list
      ( "ascii-art", ) -- i.e., one entry only.  The Relax-NG compact
      schema used for <artset> is this::

        artset =
          element artset {
            attribute xml:base { text }?,
            attribute xml:lang { text }?,
            attribute anchor { xsd:ID }?,
            attribute pn { xsd:ID }?,
            artwork*
          }

      The <artset> element can occur anywhere an <artwork> element can
      occur.  The first anchor on an <artwork> element within an
      <artset> element will be promoted to the <artset> element if it
      has none; apart from that, anchors on <artwork> elements within an
      <artset> element will be removed by the preptool.

   Additionally, this release contains some other fixes and changes.  From
   the commit log:

  * Normalized the expansion of <xref> to be more consistent conceptually 
    and across renderings.  Added back rendering support for format='none'.

  * Added another exception class to the import exception catch for pango,
    to avoid a crash in some environments.

  * Applied a patch from [email-masked] to improve the xml2rfc description.

  * Disallow lxml 4.3.1, as it can cause segfaults with some Python 
    versions.  Fixes issue #393.

  * Put back LICENCE which has been lost from the source distribution tarball
    at some point.

  * Adjusted the <xref format="counter"/> output for appendices.

  * Added code to remove any usage of Unicode U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR from the
    text output also in legacy mode.

  * Fixed a problem with the text format rendering of <xref> for an appendix.

  * Added a get_element_tags() method in BaseV3Writer, and commented out 
    some debug code.

  * Removed a warning about missing country that would appear even if no 
    <address> or <postal> was supplied.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  12 Feb 2019 16:43:44 +0000

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.19.0'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)