Subject: [Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release: v2.31.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 13:42:04 -0700

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.31.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.31.0) ietf; urgency=medium

  This release adds a feature to help with conditional line breaking
  inside table cells, and tweaks the layout of text in cells slightly.  It
  also fixes an incorrect line-break point and second-line indentation for
  long section titles in the v3 text formatter.  From the commit log:

  * Fixed an issue with leading and trailing space padding in table cells, 
    and refined it to consider the alignment setting.

  * Modified the text formatter to accept &zwsp; as a potential line-break 
    point.

  * Included zwsp in allowed special characters (in addition to nbsp, nbhy, 
    word-joiner and line-separator).

  * Fixed the line-breaking and second-line indentation of section titles 
    in v3 text output.

  * The start of an emacs nXML mode schema which explicitly mentions 
    xinclud in a couple of places.

  * Removed code left in pdf.py by mistake, and set options.pdf=True when 
    in the PdfWriter.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  25 Sep 2019 13:38:34 -0700

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.31.0'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 16:56:53 -0400

This does not fix my character problem (probably was not intended to do 
that):

$ xml2rfc draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto-01.xml
Warning: Illegal character replaced in string: &#128;
Warning: Illegal character replaced in string: &#147;
  Created file draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto-01.txt

$ xml2rfc --version
xml2rfc 2.31.0

On 9/25/19 4:42 PM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 23:09:06 +0200

Hi Bob,

>   Created file draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto-01.txt

No, this release addressed some issues raised by the RFC-Editor staff.

FWIW, if you intend to move to v3, the seriesInfo name (where the
problem is, in this case) will not allow non-ASCII characters.  The
most straightforward approach is to include the reference information
in your document directly, and replace the unicode en-dash with an
ASCII dash:

<reference anchor='ASIACRYPT-2017' >
  <front>
    <title>Full-State Keyed Duplex with Built-In Multi-user Support</title>
    <author initials="J." surname="Daemen" fullname="Joan Daemen">
      <organization></organization>
    </author>
    <author initials="B." surname="Mennink" fullname="Bart Mennink">
      <organization></organization>
    </author>
    <author initials="G." surname="Van Assche" fullname="Gilles Van Assche">
      <organization></organization>
    </author>
    <date year="2017"/>
  </front>
  <seriesInfo name="Advances in Cryptology - ASIACRYPT 2017" value="pp. 606-637"/>
  <seriesInfo name="DOI" value="10.1007/978-3-319-70697-9_21"/>
</reference>

The more general solution (which isn't available immediately) is that the
bibxml7 script is modified to transcode non-ASCII punctuation to ASCII
equivalents.

xml2rfc does this for body text, to avoid unnecessary issues with smart
quotes etc., but it does not look at attribute values in reference entries
when doing this.  I don't know, maybe it should.  Or maybe not.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 17:31:44 -0400

Hello Henrik,

>    <seriesInfo name="DOI" value="10.1007/978-3-319-70697-9_21"/>

I will use this as a quick fix so I can get this submitted.

> bibxml7 script is modified to transcode non-ASCII punctuation to ASCII

This sounds like the best path, as there will be other citations that 
will have non-ASCII codes.

> when doing this.  I don't know, maybe it should.  Or maybe not.

But then if it is put into xml2rfc, it fixes it there and does not 
interfere with whatever else bibxml7 is used for?

Thanks

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 23:54:21 +0200

It sure should. That en-dash *is* part of the Seriesinfo, and if rfcxml decides to be unreasonable about that, the tools should help (especially given that you already have the code to regress the body text into the last century). 

Sent from mobile, sorry for terse

> On 25. Sep 2019, at 23:09, Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>  I don't know, maybe it should.  Or maybe not.