Subject: [Rfc-markdown] New xml2rfc release: v3.0.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 04:36:44 -0700

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v3.0.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (3.0.0) ietf; urgency=medium

  **Transition to using the new schema v3 output formatters by default**

  This release provides the functionality that the 2.47.0 release had (with
  some enhancements), but is backwards incompatible because the default
  settings for some switches has changed.  The --legacy switch must now be set
  explicitly in order to use the old output formatters.  By default, XML input
  files with schema v2 content will be converted to v3 on the fly and the
  output formatting of the converted XML will be done with the new schema v3
  formatters.  With this release, support of Python 2.7, which is past
  end-of-life, will no longer be part of the test suite.

  There are also a number of other changes.  From the commit log:

  * Replaced the use of the deprecated optparse module with the newer 
    argparse python module.

  * Removed testing with Python 2.7, and added Python 3.8

  * Updated the bin/mkrelease script to generate documentation HTML and text
    for the release, place it on xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org, and mention the
    documentation URL in the release notes.

  * Updated the major revision to 3, given that we no longer support Py27 and
    have switched default output formatters.

  * Changed bin/mkrelease to install using pip3.6 on the tools servers (the 
    default pip might be for Py2.7).

  * Added an 'indent' attribute for <t>, in order to support indented
    paragraphs without the one-item unordered list workaround, as approved by
    the schema change board.  Added default values for the 'indent' attributes
    for <dl>, <ul>, <ol>, <t>.  For the <t> element, the 'indent' attribute
    indicates any extra amount of indentation to be used when rendering the
    paragraph of text.  The indentation amount is interpreted as characters when
    rendering plain-text documents, and en-space units when rendering in formats
    that have richer typographic support such as HTML or PDF.  One en-space is
    assumed to be the length of 0.5 em-space in CSS units.  Only non-negative
    integer amounts of indentation are supported.

  * Improved an error message about bad attribute values to show the line 
    of XML source on which the error was found.

  * Added information about command-line switches that have negations 
    (--no-foo... versions) to the context handed to the documentation template.

  * Changed the default of some switches for the 3.0.0 release: --v3 => 
    true; --legacy-date => true; --external-js => false.

  * Improved the documentation file output for switch default values and 
    for options with negation switches.

  * Updated the Makefile to use the appropriate 3.x release series switches.

  * Updated the requirements for a number of python modules.

  * Fixed an issue where hrefs without matching ids could be generated by 
    the HTML renderer from empty <name> elements.  This also fixed an issue 
    with missing figure and table captions in some unusual cases.

  * Added support for multi-level ordered lists through a '%p' (for parent) 
    code for use in the <ol> 'type' attribute.  Fixes issue #465.

  * Added more documentation for the --version switch

  * Updated the schema and tests to permit <blockquote> within <aside>.  
    Fixes issue #524.

  * Added a list of available postal elements for a country to the warning 
    for unused postal address parts.

  * Added a length limitation for the running header title in paginated 
    text documents, to avoid overwriting other parts of the running header.

  * Changed the schema to permit nested <sub> and <sup>, as approved by the
    v3 schema change board.

  * Added support for outdent handling to propagate upwards to parent 
    elements if the full needed outdent amount could not be done in the local 
    context, in order to be able to apply artwork outdenting to <artwork> 
    elements which aren't situated immediately under <section>.

  * Changed many instances of reference source indications (xml:base) from
    "xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org" to just "xml2rfc.ietf.org".  Removed the massaging
    of reference XML to place seriesInfo elements in the backwards-incomplatible
    location inside reference/front.  Changed the --add-xinclude flag to use
    datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bibxml3/ as the location of draft reference
    entries.

  * Added a couple of entries to the test suite reference cache.

  * Improved the handling of missing day information for <date> to make sure we 
    don't pick days outside the acceptable range for the given month and also 
    pick a reasonable value based on whether the year and month is in the past, 
    present or future.

  * Improved an error message for a case of disallowed XML text content.  
    Tweaked the 'block_tags' list.

  * Changed the manpage template to not use comma before 'and' when 
    rendering a list of 2 elements.

  * Changed the schema to permit <aside> within <dl> on request from the 
    RPC, with schema change board approval.  Updated renderers, CSS and tests 
    accordingly.

  * Tweaked the CSS for block elements that are direct first children of 
    <dd> to render the same way in HTML as in text (i.e., vertically distinct, 
    not on the same line as <dt>).

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  01 Sep 2020 08:06:27 +0000

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/3.0.0'

Documentation for this release is built-in, and also available at:
  https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfc-doc-3.0.0.html

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 15:00:26 +0200

Hi Henrik,

congratulations to this release!

(And thank you for fixing the running header nit.)

You mention a “schema change board”, can you tell us more about the coordinates of that?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 18:20:53 +0200

Hi Carsten,

> congratulations to this release!

Thank you :-)

> (And thank you for fixing the running header nit.)

Sure.

> You mention a “schema change board”, can you tell us more about the

It's currently John Levine, Peter Saint-Andre, Robert Sparks and myself.
It was set up in order to have some way of moving forward (or decide to
not move forward) with various changes, whether registered as tickets,
requested by the RPC or through the RPC by document authors, or otherwise
brought up.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 13:15:27 -0700

Hi,
today I'm experiencing the following problem using xml2rfc web-portal (
https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/):
Generating Text output in ASCII format
Expanding internal references and generating Text
Using XML_LIBRARY=/home/www/
tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml2:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml3:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml4:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml5:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml6:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml7:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml8:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml9
*etc/xml2rfc2: line 22: /usr/local/bin/xml2rfc: No such file or directory*
It worked just two days ago.
Much appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,
Greg

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:21 AM Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 08:36:28 +1200

> requested by the RPC or through the RPC by document authors, or otherwise

Just to provide some more context.  When we had an RSE they were responsible for helping the RPC and the developer (Henrik) triage incoming change requests and decide how those were addressed, which included: saying ’no’; changing the XML; changing the schema; and changing xml2rfc.

John’s role as Temporary RFC Series Project Manager (TRFCSPM) doesn’t include this responsibility, which left a gap that Henrik has being trying to fill while doing everything else.  Consequently, a small group has been formed to fill this gap as a temporary measure while the IAB process to determine the future role of an RSE progresses.  That group is made up of Henrik as the developer, John as the TRFCSPM, Robert as the Tools Team PM and Peter as an RSOC rep. 

’Schema Change Board’ is a label I’ve not heard before for this small group and sounds more established and authoritative than this group is meant to be.  

cheers
Jay

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
[email-masked]

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 22:49:02 +0200

Thanks Henrik and Jay for the quick answers.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 01:16:48 +0000

Henrik, the xml2rfc executable appears to have disappeared from durif.

                Tony

From: Rfc-markdown <[email-masked]> on behalf of Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 4:15 PM
To: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>, XML Developer List <[email-masked]>, XML2RFC Interest Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc] [xml2rfc-dev] New xml2rfc release: v3.0.0

Hi,
today I'm experiencing the following problem using xml2rfc web-portal (https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=Kz8VdgPVctDNSNPJ6PsBaw&m=Go0FgCrgnPuE6ZZz44El6DIp1E6IekdJa2X0RMM_ReE&s=dOzpQhyd0lT9hWgXjkSmsblD-lCyXa84e3ZbK_HlApc&e=>):
Generating Text output in ASCII format
Expanding internal references and generating Text
Using XML_LIBRARY=/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml2:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml3:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml4:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml5:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml6:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml7:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml8:/home/www/tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/web/public/rfc/bibxml9<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml2-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml3-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml4-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml5-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml6-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml7-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml8-3A_home_www_tools.ietf.org_tools_xml2rfc_web_public_rfc_bibxml9&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=Kz8VdgPVctDNSNPJ6PsBaw&m=Go0FgCrgnPuE6ZZz44El6DIp1E6IekdJa2X0RMM_ReE&s=30Ip5BbqhiUgYU37hnhkIUWBONwPtAxGgOjYgURfFEg&e=>
etc/xml2rfc2: line 22: /usr/local/bin/xml2rfc: No such file or directory
It worked just two days ago.
Much appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,
Greg

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:21 AM Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi Carsten,

Thank you :-)

Sure.

Best regards,

        Henrik

_______________________________________________
xml2rfc mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_xml2rfc&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=Kz8VdgPVctDNSNPJ6PsBaw&m=Go0FgCrgnPuE6ZZz44El6DIp1E6IekdJa2X0RMM_ReE&s=NDdveKC03ry0o1Ivqcgm3zRMcsQlpCeEZ7-ug26OVho&e=>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 10:41:52 +0200

> Henrik, the xml2rfc executable appears to have disappeared from durif.

Which triggers a bug in kramdown-rfc’s driver kdrfc when used in remote mode (xm2rfc not installed locally):

kdrfc -r3 foo.xml

…happily accepts the empty output file (which comes with a 200 status code and the right media type) from the web service.

Fixed in kramdown-rfc 1.3.12 (well, there is now an error message; can’t fix the web service).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 12:52:42 +0200

Hi Greg,

Sorry about this.  Something clearly went awry on the server when the new
version was installed.  I've re-installed, and things look better from here
now.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 12:55:35 +0200

Hi Jay,

On 2020-09-02 22:36, Jay Daley wrote:
> Just to provide some more context. When we had an RSE they were
> responsible for helping the RPC and the developer (Henrik) triage
> incoming change requests and decide how those were addressed, which
> included: saying ’no’; changing the XML; changing the schema; and
> changing xml2rfc.
> 
> John’s role as Temporary RFC Series Project Manager (TRFCSPM) doesn’t
> include this responsibility, which left a gap that Henrik has being
> trying to fill while doing everything else. Consequently, a small
> group has been formed to fill this gap as a temporary measure while
> the IAB process to determine the future role of an RSE progresses.
> That group is made up of Henrik as the developer, John as the
> TRFCSPM, Robert as the Tools Team PM and Peter as an RSOC rep.
> 
> ’Schema Change Board’ is a label I’ve not heard before for this small
> group and sounds more established and authoritative than this group
> is meant to be.

I'm happy to use any label that's put on the group, but would like to have
_some_ label to use when referring to it.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 12:57:14 +0200

Yes, there was an installation error on the server.  Fixed. now.

	Henrik

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 15:22:30 +0000

Thank you, Henrik

On 9/3/20, 6:53 AM, "xml2rfc on behalf of Henrik Levkowetz" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Greg,

    Best regards,

    	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 20:25:43 +0200

Hi,

I've had a few questions related to installation of this release, so I
might as well add some notes about installation.  The the following
approach should work.  You may need to adapt slightly to fit your
environment:

 1. If you don't have Python 3.5 or higher, install it.  You can get it
    here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ .  I'll assume python 3.8 in
    the following.  (If this fails, you should not go on with the remaining
    steps -- you're stuck with the previous version of xml2rfc until you
    can get a Python 3 running.)

 2. If you have xml2rfc installed for Python 2.7 currently:
    Run 'pip2.7 uninstall -y xml2rfc' # repeat until no version installed
    (Possibly you might need to do 'sudo pip2.7 uninstall -y xml2rfc' or
    the equivalent)

 3. Install for your python 3.  Pip3.x should not need to run as sudo or
    equivalent on most OSes:
    Run 'pip3.8 install --upgrade xml2rfc'

 4. If you have id2xml installed, make sure it's installed for the same
    python version as xml2rfc; for instance if you're moving from 2.7 to 3.8:
    'pip2.7 uninstall -y id2xml'  (or 'sudo pip2.7 uninstall -y id2xml')
    followed by 'pip3.8 install id2xml'

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 05:30:27 -0400

Thanks for these notes Henrik, and for 3.0.

I'd also suggest if you're moving to python3 (I will not judge here), I did
much work with
virtualenv to not blow up your system python.   Glad to assist.

tim

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> >   'svn checkout
> http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/3.0.0'
> >
> Rfc-markdown mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-markdown
>

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 11:43:18 +0200

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc-dev] Ne..." ]
>virtualenv to not blow up your system python.   Glad to assist. 

On this note. I've been using this https://miek.nl/2019/november/13/how-to-install-xml2rfc-on-debian/
(py2dsc-deb) on Debian for ages to install xml2rfc. IIRC all deps are _also_ available in
Debian, so this has been easy sailing for me.

Of course this only covers Debian.

/Miek

--
Miek Gieben