Subject: [Rfced-future] RSE = RFC Series Expert?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:58:58 +1300

I think this is an interesting list of experts. Their blog is
a class act. Obviously the APA is a much bigger publishing operation
than the RFC Editor, but one part-timer seems like a minimum for us:

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/apa-style-experts.html
 
Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:04:45 -0500

Brian,

Yes.  

It may be worth noting that most professional societies that
publish one or more journals or similar publications (online or
off), including ACM, IEEE, or, to venture a bit further across
the pond, the Royal Statistical Society, the International
Statistical Institute, and many others have similar groups,
often extending well beyond style and perhaps organized
differently.  And, of course, so do ISO and ITU and, as far as I
know, every major technical or scientific publisher.

A more interesting question for us might be _why_  they have
them.  There is a short answer using your example and that may
be worth thinking about.  Expertise in psychology -- either
writing about it or reading materials about the subject-- does
not imply expertise in publications, writing style, or, in many
cases, even terminology.  It is entirely reasonable to trust
IETF consensus in matters of networking and network technology
within its scope.  Believing that IETF consensus is the best way
to make decisions or even means anything when the vast majority
of IETF participants have little or no publications expertise
other than maybe having written Internet Drafts that become RFCs
or having read RFCs and many other things (in one or more
languages) is, at best, a little strange.

best,
    john

--On Monday, February 22, 2021 13:58 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> a class act. Obviously the APA is a much bigger publishing
> operation than the RFC Editor, but one part-timer seems like a
> minimum for us:
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 18:11:07 +0100

> https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/apa-style-experts.html

Yes, and then we still need the RFC editor for all the non-style work.

Grüße, Carsten