Subject: [Rfced-future] How to select RSWG chairs (#41)

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 17:04:39 -0600

There was a bit of discussion in Issue #41 [1] about how to select
chairs for the RSWG. The existing strawman text says:

"The IETF Chair and the Independent Submissions Editor shall each
appoint and oversee a co-chair of the RSWG."

Lars Eggert suggested that the IAB Chair would be a better option than
the ISE, since "the IAB has direct or indirect oversight over all the
non-IETF streams" (or at least over all the current non-IETF streams -
what to do about adding new streams is a separate topic that we still
need to work out).

The suggestion from Lars seems sensible to me, but we should discuss it
here rather than (only) on GitHub.

Peter

[1] https://github.com/intarchboard/program-rfced-future/issues/41

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 00:23:02 +0100

I think I missed the source discussion for the text. Can whoever proposed
the strawman say how/why they arrived at the suggestion?

A

-----Original Message-----
From: Rfced-future <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Peter
Saint-Andre
Sent: 21 May 2021 00:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Rfced-future] How to select RSWG chairs (#41)

Peter

-- 
Rfced-future mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/rfced-future

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 12:05:26 +1200

> appoint and oversee a co-chair of the RSWG."

Three comments on that:

- Why not say that they *jointly* appoint two co-chairs?
- I'm not sure about "oversee". It's a word that has got us into
trouble in the past. 
- Make the appointments fixed term, please, with no term limits
on renewal.

> non-IETF streams"

Probably right.

   Brian C

> (or at least over all the current non-IETF streams -

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:46:55 +1000

> - Make the appointments fixed term, please, with no term limits

This seems reasonable, except that I would like to not name the IAB Chair.  When I was on the IAB, we tried really hard to reduce the number of things that the Chair absolutely had to do by ensuring that the responsibility was one for the body as a whole.  If we say "jointly", as Brian suggests, that might mean appointing someone, but it doesn't have to be the Chair (though it wouldn't rule out the chair doing the work, we've a good history of selecting IAB Chairs who tend to be excellent choices for doing this sort of thing).