Subject: [Rgchairs] IAB seeking input about IRTF

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:51:46 -0400

Howdy,

As Vern has mentioned, he's planning to step down as IRTF Chair.
Before embarking on finding Vern's successor, the IAB is taking this
opportunity to review the overall structure and positioning of the IRTF.
That is, we are interested in determining whether we should be making
adjustments to the way the IRTF operates itself, and/or how it works
with the IETF.  Vern has done a lot of work over the last few years
to help increase the visibility of the IRTF within the IETF (e.g.,
continued plenary presentations from the IRTF RGs, periodic
RG reviews with the IAB, etc).   We naturally have the question,
"what are the next steps?", which we feel we should have a better
grasp on before selecting a successor.

So -- if you have some time before the next IETF meeting (Nov 7-12,
2004), and have some thoughts on the subject, please let me know,
and I'll work up some discussion opportunities with one or more
IAB members.  If you don't have time before then, please feel
free to write down your thoughts and send them to the IAB
([email-masked]), and/or we can see about scheduling further discussions
later.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may care to share,

Leslie.
IAB Chair.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Rgchairs mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rgchairs

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:05:41 +0200

> ([email-masked]), and/or we can see about scheduling further discussions

Why not organize a meeting next to the upcoming IETF where IRTF 
chairs and IAB member can discuss things?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:17:43 -0400

Howdy,

Well, that's possible, if in fact a lot of the rgchairs are interested
in the topic. (N.B.:  there isn't any anticipation that changes
would affect existing RGs, it's more about how and what sort of RGs
should be chartered in future).

Also, with respect to your "why not" question, note that the IAB
is also asking other folks for input, as well.  There are only so
many hours in a given IETF week...

Leslie.

--