Subject: [Rift] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-rift-00-04: (with COMMENT)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 05:33:08 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-rift-00-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-rift/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

 - A YANG module focused on configuration of protocol instances
I hope that this work item is
 - A YANG module focused on configuration and monitoring of protocol instances

Editorial
 - A Standards Track specification based on draft-przygienda-rift. The document
 will include:
   - an Implementation Status section as described in RFC 7942
   - an Operational Considerations section to explain how the protocol is
   configured, deployed, and diagnosed - Security and Privacy Considerations,
   although this material may refer to a separate Threat Analysis document
   (q.v.)

The sentence starting with "- Security and Privacy Considerations, ..." should have a new line.

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 09:06:21 -0800

Benoit, thanks for review. Agree with your comments. Further comments

1. I personally think implementation status is kept more handy as a
separate document from spec ...
2. I think that monitoring YANG discussion is best kept as separate
model/topic from configuration Yang. Yang is _great_ for configuration but
monitoring has its own challenges (based on practical experience ;-).
Worthy discussion in the group and possibly a template of things to come in
other protocols, i.e. how do we provide good telemetry into a protocol
without starting with Yang or any other modelling/transport preconception
...  In fact, I would argue that to do really good monitoring @ certain
point in time you fall back on packet encodings themselves, i.e. you read
thrift/protobuf packets from something like a streaming medium [which puts
you close to e.g. flooding albeit you are willing to "miss things" being on
a slower, reliable medium like TCP while still achieving consistency] ...

thanks

--- tony

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:33 AM, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Rift mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rift
>