Subject: [Rift] RIFT core weekly call (multicast, inrush flood reduction & last corner case)

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 09:54:29 -0800

Extremely interesting meeting today:

a) we talked first about the inrush flood reduction, i.e. automatic flood
reduction when a north node (like top of fabric) is rebooted and takes in a
large database from other nodes. looks like we have an elegant solution
that automatically reduces and load balances the flooding inrush (and
working since it's implemented already ;-) Well known problem in large
scale routing protocol deployment that I considered pretty unsolvable.
b) we talked an implemeentation consideration corner case on flood
reduction in case of inrush flood reduction (again, having implementations
running with the spec pays serious dividends ;-)
c) we talked last TODO on spec, only real issue being the "special reboot
sequence stuck north TIE" which I think we have simple solution for that
needs one sentence change in TIDE processing. we will probably close that
next week. Looks like we may be even in LC readiness by Prague
d) We ended up talking multicast support and lo-behold, despite my long
resistance to it based on M-OSPF scar tissue it seems it falls out almost
naturally in RIFT. We end up with a single (*,*) tree in the top of fabric
and the prunning happens naturally when packets go southbound. We can even
mix multicast capable and non-capable nodes easily. *Well, I encourage
e'one interested in multicast on fabrics to join next week discussion to
double-check on us but if we can put native multicast into base RIFT spec
easily that would be probably a very welcome addition.*

Recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/03bxldg5xu6zkos/AABRjx-gNba0OagXOMDftAb-a?dl=0

--- tony