Subject: [rmcat] History of Fairness Discussions in the IETF

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 15:07:59 +0000

RMCAT-ers,

At the fairness design team mtg this morning, I promised to send this 
list of RFCs & docs to the list. If you want to cut to the chase, 
jump over the pre-history and read from RFC5033 onwards.

RFCs that specify best current practice, guidelines and principles 
for designers of congestion control:
- the `Gateway Congestion Control Survey' 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1254>RFC1254],
- recommendations on AQM [<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2309>RFC2309],
- `Congestion Control Principles' 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2914>RFC2914],
- `General Architectural and Policy Considerations' 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3426>RFC3426]
- IAB Concerns Regarding Congestion Control for Voice Traffic 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3714>RFC3714];

RFCs that recommend how new transport protocols should interact with 
existing ones:
- recommendations on AQM [<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2309>RFC2309],
- Criteria for Evaluating Reliable Multicast Transports 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2357>RFC2357],
- `Congestion Control Principles' 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2914>RFC2914] and
- Guidelines for new RTP profiles [<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3550>RFC3550]
________________ VVV _____skip to here if in a hurry _____ VVV ______
- Specifying New Congestion Control Algorithms 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5033>RFC5033]

Individual contributions (that led to RFC5033)
- Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.pdf>draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.pdf]
- Problem Statement: Transport Protocols Don't Have To Do Fairness 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness>draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness]
- Comments on the Usefulness of Simple Best-Effort Traffic 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5290>RFC5290]

Fairness Metrics
- ConEx Concepts & Use Cases [<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6789>RFC6789]

Manifests of RFCs relevant to Fairness & Congestion Control:
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02#section-9
- Congestion Control in the RFC Series 
[<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5783>RFC5783]

Bob

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT