Subject: [rmcat] Packet Generator Requirements

From: Dan Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:27:11 -0600

Hi everyone,

After looking at the technology suggestions and responses to the last
thread (RMCAT Evaluation Ideas), I think it would make sense if we defined
some basic criteria for what makes an effective testing tool.

My intent is to utilize a tool in which we can get true apples to apples
comparisons while being inclusive of as many people as possible.  Likewise,
it should also be reasonably comparable to a real world implementation.

Here are some questions that come to mind:

1) Does the testing tool (packet generator) implement or use an existing
RTP stack implementation?
2) Is the tool or suggested application portable? e.g. Can we run this on
windows, linux, and mac os x?
3) Is the application framework extensible to support new flows?  e.g. What
difficulty is presented if someone wants to send an actual video stream
versus just generated packets?
4) Is it possible to implement congestion control algorithms on top of it
or its output?
5) What are all of the metrics it supports?  Does it support outputting
these metrics in common units such as seconds, packets, etc.?
6) Does it output data in a human readable or easily parseable format such
as CSV or text?
7) Does the data it outputs support the generation of line charts?

Feel free to add any questions you think may fit.

If you have an implementation that you think is worth standardizing on,
please answer these questions with your submission.

Thanks!
Dan