Subject: [rmcat] Evaluation criteria - network parameters

From: Randell Jesup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:02:18 -0400

Network Parameters:

For each node we have the following possibilities:
* LAN (very low delay < 10ms)
* Low delay (<40ms ms one-way-delay)             <--- Chosen arbitrarily
* High delay (>100(?)ms OWD)
* Extreme delay (>300ms OWD) (Satellite links, etc)
Unspecified is the link capacity (and if it's asymmetric) and 
description of cross traffic.

* WiFi
** fast
** slow/poor signal           <----- Need to choose parameters for WiFi
** low-power
** loss rate
* 3G/LTE/etc

WiFi for edge nodes is a critical usecase.

For an entire network, we typically will have mixtures except in the 
simplest (same LAN/etc) cases.  In most cases, the most important 
parameter will be where the bottleneck is.  In some cases, the 
bottleneck will move from one node to another due to either varying 
cross traffic, or do due to varying link capacity (WiFi, 3G, etc).

Bottlenecks in each direction may be in different nodes. (Frequently 
with asymmetric links)

We should describe what sort of blocks we want to use in the eval 
scenarios, and then try to define specific sets of network params to 
measure each scenario.  Each scenario will need to be measured with 
multiple network configurations, though there are too many combinations 
to test them all (or even close).

Things we need to do:
Define example characteristics for each type of node we want to use.
Define which sets of nodes we want to measure for each topology.

Related decision: defining cross-traffic for each topology.

-- 
Randell Jesup
[email-masked]