Subject: [rmcat] Guidelines for Internet Congestion Control at Endpoints?

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:54:31 +0100

Hi all,

I've written a draft about how to perform congestion control. The goal 
is to gather and
consolidate these recommendations from across the RFC-series. It is 
intended to provide input
to the design of new congestion control methods in protocols, such as 
IETF QUIC. It is not a goal
to (overly) constrict the design space, rather to define bounds that are 
reasonable for a wide range of methods. This may be harder than it 
seemed at first, and if the IETF decides to take on this work, as I hope 
it may, the current draft could change substantially before this is 
concluded.

The target is tsvwg. However, I expect the rmcat group has some 
important experience around how to do "good" CC that is quite different 
to that of TCP. If anyone wishes to comment on whether the ID is a 
good/bad idea, and make suggestions for doing things better, please do!

The draft is here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-cc/

Gorry