Subject: Computer OEM Online Newsletter

From: Computer OEM Online <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

============================================================
Computer OEM Online Newsletter
Volume 2   Issue 46
Wednesday, September 08, 1999
============================================================

Computer OEM Online's System Strategy case study series continues. Frank Carau,
R&D Lab Manager at Hewlett-Packard's Portable Capture and Communications
facility, describes how code coverage and regression test analyses tools helped
his team speed a 500-000-gate ASIC to successful first-pass completion. Read
about it at http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10080.

******** NATIONAL SPONSOR ********

The 9.99% fixed Bank One Platinum Business Card Visa. No annual fee and up
to $25,000 line of credit. Track expenses, simplify tax reporting, and
streamline your finances. Apply online by visiting:
http://app1.firstusa.com/card.cfm/XPL6UBC13/6B3Z

******** Computer OEM Online’s Weekly Selection:  ********

Advanced Routing of Electronic Modules A vision of the future in advanced
electronics by Michael Pecht, Yeun Tsun G.Wong
The rapid growth of the electronic products market has created an increasing
need for affordable, reliable, high-speed and high-density multi-layer printed
circuit boards (PCBs).
Our Price: $95.00!  To read more and purchase this book, visit:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10138

****** FEATURED ARTICLES selected by Alex Mendelsohn ******

1) Digital Car Stereo DSP Chip Samples
2) Multiple Instruction-Set Technology Takes A Bow
3) Analog Devices Implements Intel Mobile Power Management

------------------------------------------------------------

1) Digital Car Stereo DSP Chip Samples
IC house STMicroelectronics starts sampling a 3 V mixed-signal DSP-based
baseband processor chip for all-digital car stereos. ST's programmable approach
lets you add features simply by changing firmware. Try that with your
conventional analog car stereo!

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10003

2) Multiple Instruction-Set Technology Takes A Bow
As part of the Navy's Dual Use Science & Technology program sponsored by the
Office of Naval Research, CPU Technology, Inc. is developing a core processing
architecture it says will make possible upgraded high-end embedded systems. CPU
Tech will supply a system-on-a-chip that will work/run both legacy processors
and software without changes, and new higher-order languages and commercial off-
the-shelf software tools.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10004

3) Analog Devices Implements Intel Mobile Power Management
Chip makers Analog Devices releases the industry's first DC-to-DC converter to
incorporate Intel's Mobile Voltage Positioning technology.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10005

******** EDITOR'S CHOICE PRODUCTS ********

1) ZIF BGA Sockets
2) Display Driver ICs
3) LVT Logic

------------------------------------------------------------

1) ZIF BGA Sockets
Zero insertion force BGA sockets permit repeated tool-free removal and
insertion of ball-grid-array-packaged microprocessors.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10007

2) Display Driver ICs
Type CS1084, '85, and '86 driver ICs contain the circuitry needed to interface
between a system microprocessor and automotive Vacuum Fluorescent Display
instrumentation.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10008

3) LVT Logic
Designed for 3.3 V applications, logic line includes the 74LVTH273 octal D-type
flip-flop with Clear, the 74LVT373/74LVTH373 octal transparent latch with three-
state outputs, and the 74LVT374/74LVTH374 octal D-type with three-state
outputs. Available with and without Bus-hold, the high speed (less than 4.5
nanosecond) ICs can be used for off-board driving applications such as
backplanes, memory arrays, telecom switches, and in networking applications.
Bus-hold maintains a valid logic state on an unloaded input, eliminating the
need for external pull-up or pull-down resistors to prevent floating inputs.

http://www2.computeroemonline.com/read/nl19990907/10009

******** ADVERTISEMENT ********

The award winning My Lycos is the fast and easy-to-use start page -
providing you with personalized news, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes,
weather, sports scores and more.  Try it now - http://my.lycos.com.

***** FEATURED COMPANIES (information from sponsors): ******

Visit the companies below for more industry news and product information:

Adapter Technologies Inc. was established in 1994 to provide interconnect
solutions to OEMs that required application specific products to produce their
end products. Working with fortune 100, 500 and 1000 companies world wide,
their products consist from small run to large run production quantities,
research and development products and high end electronic assemblies
encompassing surface mount technologies and thru hole technologies.
Visit Adapter Technologies Inc. at:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/adaptertech.html

NKK Switches provides comprehensive manufacturing, warehousing, and other sales
services from its USA headquarters in Scottsdale, Arizona. An extensive staff
of knowledgeable marketing and sales personnel is on call to provide technical
information as well as pricing and delivery schedules.
Visit NKK Switches at:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/nkk.html

Ziatech Corporation is a leading supplier of rugged CompactPCI® and STD 32®
industrial computers. They manufacture board-level, system-level, and fully
integrated microcomputer products for OEMs and end users seeking to automate
their applications quickly and cost effectively.
Visit Ziatech Corporation at:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/storefronts/ziatech.html

Thanks for subscribing to Computer OEM Online's weekly newsletter. Tell your
friends and associates about it. Have questions, or suggestions? Call Managing
Editor Alex Mendelsohn at (207) 967-8812.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy reading Computer OEM Online's Newsletter, please tell a
friend or colleague about it.  Anyone can sign up for a free
subscription on our Web site at http://www.computeroemonline.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If your company wishes to sponsor this newsletter, please
contact Sherylen Yoak at mailto:[email-masked] to learn more.

==========================================================

If you wish to unsubscribe, please go to the following web page:
http://www2.computeroemonline.com/content/newsletter/unsubscribe.asp

==========================================================
The Computer OEM Online Homepage: http://www.computeroemonline.com

(c) Copyright 1999 VerticalNet, Inc. All rights reserved. All
product names contained herein are the trademarks of their
respective holders.