Subject: RMT Draft Agenda

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:38:48 -0500

RMT Topics at San Diego - Draft Agenda
======================================
Key:
exp = draft has expired
*   = updated since last meeting, expected to be
      discussed, times to be refined 
      no star means probably not to be discussed

Agenda Bashing, Roger 5 mins

General Draft Updates
* <draft-ietf-rmt-building-blocks-03.txt>
<draft-ietf-author-guidelines-**.txt>

NORM reorganisation
* <draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-00.txt>

ALC drafts
* <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lct-00.txt>
* <draft-ietf-rmt-info-fec-02.txt>
<draft-ietf-rmt-pi-alc-01.txt>

TRACK
<draft-ietf-rmt-bb-track-00.txt>
* <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-tree-config-01.txt>
<draft-ietf-rmt-track-arch-00.txt>
<draft-ietf-rmt-track-security-00.txt>

CONGESTION CONTROL
* <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lcc-00.txt> Mike Luby 15 mins?
<draft-ietf-rmt-bb-mrcc-00.txt>

GRA/PGM
exp <draft-ietf-rmt-gra-arch-01.txt>
Newly issued PGM draft - plan?

Individual drafts (not in charter)
* <draft-calvert-concast-svc-00.txt> Ken Calvert 15 mins

MIBs
<draft-petrova-pgmmib-00.txt> Michale Garwood 10 mins

Advertisement of MSEC BOF, Roger, 5 mins
Advertisement of discussion of TFRC in TSVWG, Allison 2 mins

---

From: "Mike Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:16:35 -0800

Allison et. al.,
Roger sent out a very similar draft agenda recently, and I sent the enclosed
email back to him in response.  Please take a look at what this email
proposes before making up the final schedule.
Thanks, Mike

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------

From: Mike Luby [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 7:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Michael Luby; Luigi Rizzo; Lorenzo Vicisano; Mark Handley
Subject: RE: RMT Tentative Agenda (items only at this stage)

Roger,

A couple of clarifications and explanations.  We submitted four drafts this
time from within what used to be called the ALC track (changing the name,
and not all of the drafts formally belong in whatever the track is called
anyway).  The four new drafts are the LCT draft (correctly listed below,
which will subsume the ALC draft), the LCC draft (correctly listed below,
which will subsume the MRCC draft), and two FEC drafts.   There is only one
FEC draft listed below.  There is a new version draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-02.txt
of the previous FEC draft, and then there is a new FEC draft called
draft-ietf-rmt-info-fec-00.txt.

Here is how it all fits together:

It was decided by Mark Handley and Luigi Rizzo that ALC should be renamed
Layered Coding Transport (LCT), and Lorenzo and I agreed with their
proposal.  The basic rationale is that the LCT protocol could be used for
more than reliable content delivery of one object in the future, and in
particular it could be used for things like use with layered codecs for
video delivery, or for sequential delivery of many objects, etc.

In conjunction with this I decided that the MRCC name was too general
(multi-rate congestion control can be achieve by a variety of means that
don't involve layering), and thus I thought it would be better to rename
this to Layered Congestion Control (LCC) (which is more in the spirit of the
name LCT).

As we are gaining experience with the building block approach, we decided
that it made sense to split the FEC documents into two parts: one
informational track draft that would describe the available codes and their
uses within the RMT working group (this is the new draft, which largely
contains material taken from the previous building block draft), and another
standards track draft that would specify the abstract packet formats and
IANA registration considerations for some specific codes that can be used in
conjunction with LCT (also containing material largely from the previous
building block draft, and this draft maintained the name of the previous
draft).  We didn't do this yet with the LCC building block, but I believe
that in the long term, if this approach work for the FEC building block, the
same model will be adopted by the LCC building block (and perhaps all the
building blocks).

So, given all of this, I think it actually makes sense to have an agenda
item on the schedule for someone to describe all of these structural and
naming changes and the rationales behind them.  I nominate Mark Handley for
this general presentation. Then, I think that Luigi Rizzo should do the LCT
presentation and Lorenzo Vicisano should do the two FEC presentations, and I
will do the LCC presentation (assuming that they are all willing to do it,
of course).

Make sense?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Roger
Kermode
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 2:07 PM
To: rmt-list
Cc: Lorenzo Vicisano; Allison Mankin
Subject: RMT Tentative Agenda (items only at this stage)

Dear RMT'ers,

in preparing the agenda for the San Diego meeting
We've noticed that we have a lot of drafts, some of
which are new and some of which have expired.

In keeping with directives from the ADs we are asking
that presenters assume that people have read the
draft and that their presentations consist of a brief
summary of the draft/updates to the draft followed
by discussion on outstanding issues.

Given this approach we are expecting that there
will only be presentations for the drafts that have
changed since the last meeting, i.e. drafts with *
in front of them.

To date we've only received a couple of explicit
requests for time slots. If you want to present
during the RMT sessions at the IETF please
email the chairs ASAP

regards,

Roger, Lorenzo, and Allison

Outstanding RMT Drafts/Potential Presentations at San Diego
=========================================
Key:
*  = updated since last meeting
exp = draft has expired

General Draft Updates

NORM reorganisation

ALC drafts

TRACK

CONGESTION CONTROL

GRA

Individual drafts

MIBs

msec WG advertisement, Roger, 5 mins

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Allison
Mankin
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 8:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RMT Draft Agenda

General Draft Updates

NORM reorganisation

ALC drafts

TRACK

CONGESTION CONTROL

GRA/PGM

MIBs

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:59:17 -0500

Mike,

I have dropped [email-masked] from the cc list.  We can revise
the draft agenda later after we nail down all the details.

I jumped in and sent a slightly cleaned-up of Roger's tentative
agenda to the Secretariat, because of my AD instincts, wanting 
RMT very much not to miss today's deadline. 

In the likely absence of Mark, it sounds to me like you would be
a good person to speak to the reorg/rename.  Please let
us know too how long the several talks you suggest should
be.

Other comments/corrections on the draft agenda are welcome.

Allison

---

From: "Mike Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:38:46 -0800

Allison,
Yes, I should have figured that you were making sure to do this before some
deadline, and thanks for that.

I would be willing to give the general talk, as long as Luigi, Mark and
Lorenzo will work with me a bit before the meeting to structure the talk.
I'll work with them directly on this if they are willing.  Given this, here
is my proposed portion of the agenda.  I made estimates of the times for
each part (and I have less confidence in my time estimates for the
presentations with a time interval.  Mark, Luigi, Lorenzo, please chip in
with your estimates.)

Presentation I: General overview (Luby, 20 minutes)
(1) Rationale for transition from ALC to LCT
(2) Rationale for FEC partitioned into standard track and information track
(and why this may be the right approach for all building blocks eventually).
(3) Rationale for transition from MRCC to LCC
(4) How all the pieces fit together

Presentation II: LCT00 changes from ALC01 (Rizzo, 15-20 minutes)

Presentation III: FECBB02 and FECInfo00 changes from FECBB01 (Vicisano,
10-15 minutes)

Presentation IV: LCC00 changes from MRCC00 (Luby, 5 minutes)

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Allison Mankin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 10:59 AM
To: Mike Luby
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: RMT Draft Agenda

Mike,

Allison

---

From: Lorenzo Vicisano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:54:16 -0800

> presentations with a time interval.  Mark, Luigi, Lorenzo, please chip in

Mike,
your time estimates seem reasonable to me.

	Lorenzo