Subject: PGM Reliable Transport Protocol

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:16:44 -0500 (EST)

To the RGT Chairs and Working Group

The IESG has been asked to evaluate the publication of "PGM Reliable
Transport Protocol" <draft-speakman-pgm-spec-06.txt> as an Experimental
RFC.  This is clearly in the realm of the RMT working group but it seems as
if the working group has abandoned this genre of RMT technologies.  My
feeling is based on the expiration of the Generic Router Assist documents
and their absence from your agenda in recent meetings.    Am I
understanding working group's interest accurately? 

If that is the case then the right process would seem to be that the
Transport ADs should evaluate this (and possibly other proposals in the
same genre) against the requirements in RFC 2357 and make a recommendation
to the IESG about the suitability of publishing the Internet Draft as an
RFC.

If indeed the working group is interested in doing work in this space this
Internet Draft should be refereed to the Working Group for consideration.

advice please

Scott
Area Director for RMT

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:13:14 +0000

Scott
 
i can't speak for anyone except me, but I think you have to divide the
GRA generic work from the  PGM specific work - GRA lost some of its
general momentum only because we have plenty else to do first and
specifically because of change of afiliation (i believe) of one
the key designers - my group at UCL would be working on GRA if we
weren't so busy on nearer term things for now...

pgm is live and kicking as an instance of it...

so if you like, its kind of a cart before a horse (examplar before
general building block) but i don't want that to sound negative - i am
positive about pgm (it does congestion control for example) and has a
lot of RMT folks involved.....

but i gess the WG chairs will have more to say...

 cheers

   jon

---

From: Lorenzo Vicisano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:08:12 -0800

Scott,

The Working Group has not abandoned GRA, however
the work on this is still at a very early stage. Given the challenges
that we will be facing, i.e. mechanism abstraction, hardware constraints,
deployment concerns, I think that coming up with a good solution
will be a hard task that will require more time than we expected.

I don't think that we can consider PGM as a replacement for GRA,
both because it is focused on a single mechanism (NAK aggregation)
and because does not fit the RMT architecture. Hence my opinion is
that the ADs evaluate the PGM draft independently from the WG as a
non-standard track candidate.

	Lorenzo