Subject: [Rmt] Update status of the FEC building block

From: "Michael Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:30:40 -0700

Dear RMT participants,

We would like to take this opportunity to update the RMT group on progress
with regards to updating the FEC building block (existing Experimental RFC
3452) to a Proposed Standard RFC.  Just as a reminder, the RMT group has
agreed that work on moving the current Experimental RFCs to Proposed
Standard RFCs should first concentrate on the FEC building block, and the
FEC building block should be moved towards Proposed Standard RFC without
dependencies on the other Experimental RFCs, although the intent is to
quickly move all current Experimental RFCs in the RMT group to Proposed
Standard RFC status.

The primary goals of the update of the FEC building block at a high level
are the following:

(1)   Clarify some confusing language in the current RFC 3452, which is not
incorrect but has been misinterpreted on some occasions (based on comments
on the mailing list and during the RMT meetings).

(2)   Provide detailed guidelines on how to write an RFC for an FEC scheme
corresponding to a new FEC Encoding ID (for both Fully-Specified and
Under-Specified FEC Encoding IDs)

(3)   Ensure that the FEC building block is applicable to multiple
protocols, including of course FLUTE and NORM but also including streaming.

(4)   Ensure on-the-wire backwards compatibility with existing
implementations of protocols that are compliant with the current
Experimental RFCs, e.g., existing implementations of FLUTE and NORM.

There will be reorganizations of parts of other Experimental RFCs as they
are updated to Proposed Standards status, including FLUTE, the existing FEC
schemes, ALC/LCT, and possibly NORM, but these will be internal
reorganizations that will respect (4) above.

We expect that an initial draft of the FEC building block will be available
by Friday, April 29.

Michael Luby

Lorenzo Vicisano

Mark Watson

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt