Subject: RE: [Rmt] [EXP2STD] Duplication between LCT and ALC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:47:55 +0200

Sounds reasonable!

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of ext Mark Watson
	Sent: 12 October, 2005 19:04
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Rmt] [EXP2STD] Duplication between LCT and ALC

	All,

	In updating the ALC and LCT specifications for standards track,
I have noticed that there is a lot of duplication between the two.

	Specifically,

	1)     Both documents include text on service models. The 'push
service model' is mentioned in both documents but described in more
detail in ALC. The 'on demand content delivery model' is mentioned in
both documents but described in more detail in LCT.

	2)     Much of the text in "Environmental Requirements and
Considerations" in ALC is duplicated text from the equivalent section in
LCT.

	3)     Section 4.2 of ALC (LCT Header format) claims to provide
an example of the LCT header format and then duplicates most of the text
from 5.1 of LCT, including normative requirements from that section.
There are also a couple of ALC-specific normative requirements in this
section, which is unfortunate, since the whole section is marked as an
example!

	4)     Section 4.3 of ALC (Header Extensions) and 5.2 of LCT
duplicate the definition of LCT Header Extensions and the General
extensions in particular.

	5)     Section 4.4 of ALC (Sender operation) includes a number
of duplicated requirements from LCT regarding TOI uniqueness per object,
packet ordering and packet size.

	6)     Section 4.5 of ALC (Receiver operation) includes a number
of duplicated requirements from LCT regarding congestion control, packet
ordering and concurrent sessions.

	7)     The last two paragraphs of Section 5 of ALC (Security
Considerations) are a direct copy of the last two paragraphs of Section
8 of LCT

	My proposals for addressing these duplications are as follows:

	1)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced
with a reference to LCT. Text from ALC which does not presently appear
in LCT should also be moved there, unless it is genuinely ALC-specific.

	2)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced
with a reference to LCT.

	3)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC (reference to
LCT is already there). The only ALC-specific normative requirements
still required in ALC are:

	a.      That the TSI must be in the header and non-zero in
length

	b.      That the LCT header is followed by the FEC Payload ID
and Encoding Symbols (I propose also to remove the FEC-scheme specific
description of the FEC Payload ID and simply refer to the FEC BB)

	4)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced
with a reference to LCT. Only the definition of the EXT-FTI should
remain in ALC.

	5)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC (reference to
LCT is already there)

	6)     As (5)

	7)     As (5)

	Regards,

	Mark

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt