Subject: [Rmt] RFC 5052 on Forward Error Correction (FEC) Building Block

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5052

        Title:      Forward Error Correction (FEC) Building 
                    Block 
        Author:     M. Watson, M. Luby,
                    L. Vicisano
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 57754
        Obsoletes:  RFC3452
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-fec-bb-revised-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5052.txt

This document describes how to use Forward Error Correction (FEC)
codes to efficiently provide and/or augment reliability for bulk data
transfer over IP multicast.  This document defines a framework for
the definition of the information that needs to be communicated in
order to use an FEC code for bulk data transfer, in addition to the
encoded data itself, and for definition of formats and codes for
communication of that information.  Both information communicated with
the encoded data itself and information that needs to be communicated
'out-of-band' are considered.  The procedures for specifying new FEC
codes, defining the information communication requirements associated
with those codes and registering them with the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority (IANA) are also described.  The requirements on
Content Delivery Protocols that wish to use FEC codes defined within
this framework are also defined.  The companion document titled "The
Use of Forward Error Correction (FEC) in Reliable Multicast"
describes some applications of FEC codes for delivering content.
This document obsoletes RFC 3452.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt