Subject: [Rmt] Protocol Action: 'Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Staircase and Triangle Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:11:00 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Staircase and Triangle Forward Error 
   Correction (FEC) Schemes '
   <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-ldpc-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-ldpc-08.txt

Technical Summary

    This document is an optional Building Block usable to fully define 
    an RMT Transport Protocol.  It fully-specifies Low Density Parity 
    Check (LDPC) Forward Error Correction (FEC) Codes within the 
    guidelines of draft-ietf-rmt-fec-bb-revised. It also specifies 
    procedures and packet-header fields, as required by draft-ietf-
    rmt-fec-bb-revised.

    The combination of this document and draft-ietf-rmt-fec-bb-revised 
    allows the implementation of an interoperable Forward Error 
    Correction scheme usable in the context of an RMT transport 
    protocol (e.g. LCT/ALC or NORM).

    LDPC FEC codes generate parity symbols using a sparse set of 
    source     symbols.  The LDPC codes described in this document 
    belong to the class of large block codes, which means they can 
    easily operate on blocks that are composed of a huge number of 
    source symbols.  For bulky information content, this is a great 
    advantage over similar small-block FEC codes, like the popular 
    Reed-Solomon codes, that can also work over a packet erasure channel.
    
Working Group Summary

    There is consensus in the WG to publish these documents.

Document Quality

    The authors have a working, open source implementation of the FEC 
    algorithms this document describes.  The FEC implementation has 
    been used in working RMT protocol code.

Brian Adamson is the Document Shepherd.
Magnus Westerlund is the Responsible Area Director.

Note to RFC Editor

Section 4.2.4.2:

OLD:
   The FEC-OTI-Scheme-Specific-Info contains the string resulting from
   the Base64 encoding (in the XML Schema xs:base64Binary sense)
   [RFC4648] of the following value:

NEW:
   The FEC-OTI-Scheme-Specific-Info contains the string resulting from
   the Base64 encoding [RFC4648] of the following value:

Section 11.1 Normative References:

Please move the following reference: 

   [RFC3453]  Luby, M., Vicisano, L., Gemmell, J., Rizzo, L., Handley,
              M., and J. Crowcroft, "The Use of Forward Error Correction
              (FEC) in Reliable Multicast", RFC 3453, December 2002.

To Section 11.2 Informative References

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt