Subject: Re: [rohc] Invitation to the 4th ROHC interop: "ROHC in the City"

From: Ana Carolina Minaburo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:14:20 +0200

Hi,

We are working in the IPv6 deployment of ROHC, we have the profile 1 
(IPv6/UDP/RTP) of RFC 3095 over PPPoe implementated (RFC 3241)  for the 
moment, we will want to participate to your interop test event, but we 
want to know if there is another implementation with whom we can interop?

Ana

Stefan Hendrata wrote:

>Dear ROHClers,
>
>please be invited to the 4th ROHC interop test which will take place from
>
>		Wednesday, October 30th, 2002
>	to	Friday, November 8th, 2002
>
>in Berlin, Germany.
>
>The duration of the interop test has been extended due to some concerns that 
>the one week time frame of earlier interops would not be sufficient.
>
>The "ROHC in the City" webpage containing information on this event and
>online registering capability is located at
>
>	http://www.acticom.de/interop.html
>
>Please check it out regularly since we will update it with current
>information.
>
>The ROHC interop test is open to everyone who has a ROHC implementation. We 
>especially want to encourage those who have not gone to a ROHC interop yet to 
>participate and make it a successful event. Those of you who plan to 
>participate at "ROHC in the City" should indicate your interest not later 
>than October 1st in order to guarantee your attendance. It is also a good 
>idea to book hotel rooms as early as possible because there are other events 
>taking place in Berlin at the same time which could make it difficult to get 
>the desired hotel room.
>
>Since this is the fourth ROHC interoperability test of ROHC, focus will be on 
>the more advanced features of ROHC, and on robustness under hard link 
>conditions. However, basic features will also be tested besides these 
>challenging ones. Details on the test contents will be published on the 
>webpage.
>
>Here is a link for touristic information about Berlin:
>
>	http://www.berlin.de/english/index.html
>
>
>With best regards,
>
>Stefan Hendrata
>Frank Fitzek
>Enno Ewers
>Rolf Morich
>Gerrit Schulte
>- acticom GmbH -
>
>_______________________________________________
>Rohc mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc
>

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Sukanta Kumar Hazra <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Sep 2002 14:21:59 +0800

Hi!

We are also working on  IPv6/UDP/RTP. However it is over PPP and not
PPPoe. I will have to look into the effort required to add PPPoe
support.

Hope to interop. Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Sukanta

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:02:34 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   PPPoe.

=> I don't understand your statement "it is over PPP and not PPPoE"
because PPPoE is PPP, only the encapsulation/framing is over Ethernet
and not over a serial line. BTW, do you support synchronous or
asynchronous serial lines?

   I will have to look into the effort required to add PPPoe support.

=> we use the "user mode" PPP for FreeBSD (http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html)
which has support for asynchronous serial lines too. PPPoE was chosen only
because it doesn't need any hardware (no stupid problems to get the right
cable), it is very easy to trace/debug and it uses netgraph.

=> if you don't work on a dedicated device you should look at PPPoE
(or PPP over a layer-3 but they are not very standardized) because
it has definitive advantages for interop testing of features in the
higher part of PPP (like ROHC). And PPPoE is heavily used for ADSL
so implementations are very easy to find.

Regards

[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Kausik Sinnaswamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 20:05:52 -0700

Hi Ana,
    We, at Effnet, have an implementation of IPv6/UDP/RTP that we would 
like to interoperate. Our implementation handles the second IPv6 header 
too.  

Cheers
Kausik

---

From: Vicknesan Ayadurai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:07:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Stefan,

With the interop date looming, I was wondering if you had any info on:

a. the proposed interconnectivity between implementations
b. items from RFC3095 to be tested

listed anywhere.

For implementations which don't support "everything", it might be a
good idea to reach a consensus on this while we still have a few weeks
to go...

Regards,
vick.
+----------------------------------------------------+
 Vicknesan AYADURAI <[email-masked]>
 SwitchLab, Ericsson Research - Stockholm, Sweden
 Phone :  +46 8 5087 8084 / Fax:  +46 8 5087 8090
+----------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Stefan Hendrata <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:55:40 +0200

Hi Vick (and others),

When I look at my clock I indeed see that time has passed by so quickly and 
we are approaching the interop date.

Regarding the test setups and the interconnectivity between implementations, 
I'm assuming that we will use the same interconnectivity as used at the last 
interop (http://standards.ericsson.net/rohc), i.e., we will provide the 
source, sink and radio-channel simulator devices. An ROHC compressor under 
test receives RTP streams from the source host through Ethernet and sends 
compressed ROHC packets using ROHC-over-PPP through a serial interface. A 
radio-channel simulator device may then introduce errors or drop packets. The 
ROHC decompressor under test receives PPP-encapsulated and compressed ROHC 
packets from its serial interface and after decompression forwards them 
through its Ethernet interface to the sink host. Optionally, we could replace 
the serial interconnection by an Ethernet for those implementations that do 
not support ROHC-over-PPP.

Different from the figures of the Arctic ROCH test setup, we are going to use 
one computer having two Ethernet interfaces and two serial interfaces to act 
as source, sink and radio-channel simulator. So it's possible to keep the 
description of a test case at one place and it's easier to compare input and 
output RTP streams. The software for this test setup (generating, sending and 
receiving RTP streams, applying errors and packet drops etc.) is derived 
from our internal test software and is now being adapted for the interop 
purpose.

One open issue for a test case is how to trigger mode transitions. In order 
to automatically trigger a mode transition we would need a way to send a 
signal from the test sytem to the ROHC decompressor. Alernatively, we could 
trigger a mode transition manually. Any ideas?

Regarding the test list and items to be tested, I just asked Lars-Erik today 
if he have had any progress with the list he wanted to assemble.
But of course, we welcome if participants indicate what they want to test.

For our implementation, we would like to test "almost everything", i.e., the 
basic test scenarios (as described on the Arctic interop webpage) and also 
other features (e.g., timer-based compression, segmentation).

We are going to update our webpages very soon to provide these information.

Best regards,
Stefan

On Thursday 12 September 2002 15:07, you wrote:
> > The duration of the interop test has been extended due to some concerns
> > that the one week time frame of earlier interops would not be sufficient.
> >
> > The ROHC interop test is open to everyone who has a ROHC implementation.
> > We especially want to encourage those who have not gone to a ROHC interop
> > yet to participate and make it a successful event. Those of you who plan
> > to participate at "ROHC in the City" should indicate your interest not
> > later than October 1st in order to guarantee your attendance. It is also
> > a good idea to book hotel rooms as early as possible because there are
> > other events taking place in Berlin at the same time which could make it
> > difficult to get the desired hotel room.
> >
> > Since this is the fourth ROHC interoperability test of ROHC, focus will
> > be on the more advanced features of ROHC, and on robustness under hard
> > link conditions. However, basic features will also be tested besides
> > these challenging ones. Details on the test contents will be published on
> > the webpage.
> >

---

From: [email-masked] (Sukanta Kumar Hazra)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 05:31:49 +0800

Hi!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>"
Date: Wed, 04 Sep, 2002 16:02 SGT
Subject: Re: [rohc] Invitation to the 4th ROHC interop: "ROHC in the City"

> asynchronous serial lines?

I should have been clearer, our initial version used PPP over serial
line. And yes, it works without modification using kernel mode  PPPoE in
Linux.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sukanta Kumar Hazra <[email-masked]>      
Institute for Communications Research
PGP-KEY: http://www.icr.a-star.edu.sg/~sukanta/skhkey.asc
PGP-ID: 0x8E084AD5 
Key-Fingerprint: 9C0D B00C C62A 7059 5314  99FC CE90 478A 8E08 4AD5
--------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc