Subject: [rohc] Question on configuration parameters

From: "Soyoung Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:03:35 +0900

Dear experts,

I have a question on criteria of configuration parameters (for example, MAX_CID, etc.).
When these parameters are configured, I wonder how each value is determined.
Especially, what is the criterion of MAX_CID?

I don't know how to determine the configuration parameters.
Should I always use the maximum value or default value?
Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Br,
Soyoung

 ===========================
  Soyoung Lee
  LG Electronics Inc. Korea

  e-mail: [email-masked]
  phone: +82-31-450-7859
  fax: +82-31-450-7912
===========================

---

From: [email-masked] (Sukanta Kumar Hazra)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:03:42 +0800

Soyoung,

> MAX_CID, etc.).

In my opinion that would depend on the what you really want. If I have
ample processing power, and low bandwidth I would compress as many
streams as possible,  and MAX_CID would be what I expect the number of
streams to be or, the maximum possible value. However if either the
compressor or the decompressor(most probably) does not have processing
power it can choose to compress fewer streams. In the end its a tradeoff
between cpu cycles and bandwidth and MAX_CID is one of the ways to find
the balance.

Memory required to maintain a large number of contexts might also be a
determining factor.

I am usually happy with the default values(as suggested in RFC 3241) and rarely use the max.

Regards,
Sukanta
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc