Subject: [rohc] Question about ROHC padding

From: "Sarkar, Rajib" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:41:05 -0800

Hi,
	I have a question about ROHC padding. What I understand if only if
you do segmentation then you need to do padding is there any other scenario
when you need to put the padding octet. Thanks in advance for help.
Regards
Rajib
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:35:55 +0100

> when you need to put the padding octet. Thanks in advance for help.

One scenario that comes to mind is ROHC over Ethernet.
As Ethernet has a minimum packet size, you need to have some way of 
adding padding if your packet is smaller than that.
(You might still want to compress, as the uncompressed packet may be 
significantly larger than the minimum packet size.)

Oh, and segmentation does not necessarily *imply* padding.  (If you 
want to use segmentation in a fixed-size cell environment, e.g. as an 
AAL5 replacement, you do need it, of course.)

Gruesse, Carsten